12. Mono no aware

Audrey knew something was wrong. 

Of course she saw it. Evelyn had troubles that occupied her mind and thus she paid no heed to Holly seeming off. However, no matter how many thoughts may float in her head, Audrey always noticed.

Holly sighed as she jogged, focusing on the task at her hand. The key was cool against her warm palms as it recognised the land where it belonged. Holly quickened her pace and closed her eyes, that rush of sympathetic wind calming her, the smell of destructive smoke saddening her.

Suddenly absolute darkness surrounded her, freeing her of her vessel as it transported her to the caliginous chamber. She felt true, peaceful and natural though it wasn't long before her particles were brought back together.

"Thank you, Azrael."

"It is my pleasure, Holly."

Holly opened her palm and stretched it outward and all light moved away from the key, its presence gradually leaving Holly's hand. Holly felt an odd sense of peace in Azrael's presence especially when the darkness moved, her anticipation build as she waited for what came next.

A bright flash of light, just like the previous time though now there was nothing in her five senses. Holly closed her eyes to enter the void of belonging, letting her consciousness discern what was presented to her.

An enormous and bright leaf flickered in space, gradually falling down to the corrupted ground of the Earth. The moment it made contact a thin and transparent blanket began to cover the Earth, only allowing the leaf to remain beneath it. It spread from the planet to its solar system, to its universe and all universes, to its land of Quintessence and all the other lands. It appeared to be the fabric of existence alongside the fabric of spacetime but in reality, it was within the Shadow Dimension. However, before it protected all and itself, a crimson blade pierced its tender self. All of its particles dissipated into the wind and seeped into the ground, reflecting off the world luminescence amidst the tenebrosity.

The layer turned green.

It had no dimension at all. Just like the One, that layer pervaded nowhere and everywhere. It had sacrificed everything to protect equilibrium and belonging, but it was not alone.

Holly smiled.

"I understand what I must do. But do you understand what you must do?"

A deep silence filled the atmosphere, making the darkness feel uneasy. Holly knew that the spirit was aware of what he had to do but wasn't ready to accept it yet.

He wasn't ready to accept the fault of empathy.

"Belonging, Azrael. The seeds of thoughts are not meant to come into existence, to reside here. They are not Shadow Beings but are figments of the Shadow Dimension. That is where they belong. Taking parts of the dimension is what caused it to tear, allowing Rage to escape.

"I promise that Vlad will not destroy them. But Azrael, you must let go of the Demonic Creatures. Let them leave the world of existence in time, but let them leave."

The tension in the atmosphere broke softly, as if the spirit were sighing.

"Nature brought the seeds here, but if this is what the Shadow of Nature believes, then this is what I shall do.

"The One was right. You truly are remarkable."

Holly closed her eyes with that gentle smile, passing an aura of radiation through the land to alleviate its sufferings. She felt humble and responsible and she finally saw the point in hindsight.

The point of exit.

"After this is all over, I will help you return the land back to its original state. All those years ago when nature destroyed the creatures of the Valleys, nature also destroyed the Nature of Tenebris. It is ironic but when the creatures leave, your burden will decrease. All will be restored."

She never spoke with a bitter tone despite any amusing thoughts. Other than the One other, no one understood nature as she did. 

"Please relay my spirits to Zephyr and comfort her for me. Our bond is weakening and she needs someone."

"I shall do my best, Azrael. However I feel that it will be she who comforts me."

Such friendly darkness, such peaceful silence. The spirit was always ready to help her, ready to help everyone even if it did not receive the same. It never sought help or kindness, just wished for his sibling bond to remain firm.

It was her turn to help the spirit transition back to the Land of Tenebris. 

"I shall let them all know that their short time here was a blessing for me.

"Until we meet again, Holly."

"Until we meet again, Azrael."

----- -------

Audrey felt so much but only one thought pervaded in her mind.

No matter how sorrowful the facts could be, being aware was a privilege.