nine

"Can't you see, beautiful? We're blowing up the city, together."

I was speechless. Everyone was. Staring around the room at everyone, scared, concerned, scared. Yes, I say scared twice. It was the only emotion I recognized at this point.

"What are you talking about? We're not doing anything," I retort, crossing my arms and staring at him. 

"You'll do as I say, Echo, or you'll be dealing with a lot more than just blowing up the city."
"How come you only want her?" MJ asks, his hand pressing into my hip for support. 

"Because she's a gullible teenage girl who will do anything just to protect her identity. Isn't that right?" I swallow the lump in my throat, chills going up my spine. I looked up at MJ and into his eyes. It was sort of weird; I had the feeling of safety, like I could trust him. His eyes were familiar to me, which was also strange. 

"I'm not doing anything for you," I spat angrily. I didn't really know what was happening. Everyone around me was either snarling or trying to get their hands freed. It was my job to stop this man, and yet here I stand, waiting for someone to do it for me.

"Oh yeah?" Landis cocks his head to the side, crossing his arms. He walks towards me and yanks me forward, spinning me around so that I'm facing the boys. He tightly grips my hair and pulls it out of my face, pointing  a gun at my temple. "You're right. You're just bait. Now listen up boys," Landis says, the gun pressing into my head. "If you don't do as I say, she'll die and then you'll all die. Got that?" 

"Let her go, man," MJ says, his fists clenched.

"Oh yeah? What are you going to do about it?" Landis asks, spraying his words onto my face. MJ smirks and within a minute, Landis is thrown from his spot next to me to the wall, the gun dropping to the ground. I can hear his bones as they make contact with the concrete wall, Landis sliding down unconscious. I stand paralyzed with fear in the same place I was, unable to move, unaware of what's happening.
"Echo? Hey, hello? Are you okay?" MJ waves his hand in front of my face, snapping me from my state of fear. I nod and grab the gun that's on the ground, taking the rounds out of it and tossing them across the floor. "Hey Smash, come help me." they walk over to where Landis is sprawled out on the ground, helping each other lift him and move him to where we were all tied up. Since I knew how to tie knots quite well, I tied Landis's hands around the pole and slapped him across the face for no reason what so ever.

"What was that for?" MJ asks as Landis opens his cold, black eyes. I shrug, kneeling in front of him.

"You're a bad man, Landis," I whisper, loud enough for him to hear. "Rot in Hell." I stand up and dust my hands  off, walking towards the boys.

"Authorities should be here soon," I say, wobbling on one foot. "Thank you."
"For what?" MJ asks. I shrug.

"For everything. You know, we kind of are a team, in a way," I laugh. "I'm the sexy super hero and you're the side kick."
"That is all 100% true," he says, smirking. "You are sexy. But so am I." I roll my eyes and cross my arms smugly.

"If you'll excuse me, I have a party to attend," I nod, hobbling towards the steps.

 As I head up the steps, I hear the synced sound of footsteps rumbling down the hall. I try to make my way out as fast as I can before they got here, so that I would have time to hobble out with no questions asked. When I get outside and into my card, I pull up the bottom of my latex skinnies and see that my ankle's begun to swell. Sighing, I pull out of the parking lot and head to Carter's house, with two hours until the party to spare.

-

"Where have you been?!" She asks, worried, as I hobble in through her front door. "Oh my god are you okay?"
"I will be," I say sitting on her couch with a groan. "Can you get me some ice?" she nods and rushes to the kitchen and then to the bathroom, coming back with a baggie of ice and the First Aid kit. 

 "What happened?" she asks, pressing the ice against my swelling ankle after setting a pillow underneath my foot. I Shrug my shoulders.

"I just twisted it a little, no big deal," I reply. "We gotta get ready for that party soon." 
"Just let me wrap up your foot, okay?" I nod , watching Carter wrap something around my ankle.

-

I watch as Carter comes out of the bathroom in her costume, scrunching up her face questioningly. 
"I don't know... how did they do their hair?" she asks, popping her hip and looking in the mirror. I laugh and stand, walking cautiously over to dresser that she keeps her hair and makeup things on, along with a huge mirror.

"I'll do it." she smiles at me and sits in the chair, glaring into the mirror. 
"I'm really upset that you're not matching with me," she says, laughing. I tease the bangs of her hair and smile.

"Yeah, well, we've all got different tastes. You're going to look hot," I say, rolling her hair into Pin Curls, curling the rest of her hair. 

"Okay, okay.  Are you done yet? You have to get ready." She says, pulling away from the cloud of hairspray. "Do you want to go? You look like you're in pain."

"Yes, I want to go. It should be fun. Sorry. I'll go get dressed,"  I smile and grab my costume and a few items from Carter's closet. I knew it would hurt, but I was going to wear heels. No pain no gain, right?

  After I fix my hair and makeup, I hook arms with Carter for support, her walking me towards my car since I would be driving.

"You sure you're okay to drive?" she asks, opening my door. 
"Of course! Hop in and give me the address."
"Okay," she shakes her head and gets into the car, buckling her seat belt and pulling out her phone. "144 Downey Drive." I snort.

"Funny, the boy I dated when Michael and I were 'on a break' lives across the street." I say.

"That's not funny. That's frightening."

-

Hello hello sorry it took a while to upload! But i'm here Xxx

Everly's costume to the side