37 - Snakes Come From the Desert

KALIJ
I made airplane sounds as I moved the spoonful of applesauce around and into Northern's mouth. She giggled and clapped as she ate it and I smiled, getting some more. Suddenly, something didn't seem right and I shushed Northern. She looked at me with wide eyed innocence and I put my finger over my mouth. I went over to the opening of the kitchen."
"No, it's fine I can-"
"No. We'll take you now."
Dad stopped talking and I gulped, wondering what happened. I stayed completely silent as I waited for the officers to speak, wondering if something happened.
"Sidewinder to Snake Pit." Someone said.
"Snake Pit here."
"We have Rat 1 contained."
I peeked around the corner as inconspicuously as I could and saw that the two officers were standing over Dad talking into strange looking walkie-talkies.
"Roger that, Sidewinder. Have you got the other rats accounted for?"
"I've got two other rats in the house but I'll be able to lure them out soon. I will be 'omg'ing it shortly and at least one will come running."
I was breathing the hardest and most silent of my life. The only thing I knew to do was to keep Northern safe and text for help. I put my phone on vibrate as I walked toward Northern and texted Uncle Tarot.

Uncle Tarot, there are weird police officers at my house. Get over here NOW!

I went over to Northern, who I thanked every second had been preoccupied by the applesauce to make a noise, and grabbed a wet napkin. She looked up at me and I put my finger over my mouth.
"Uncle Kal needs you to stay safe, okay sweetheart?" I whispered. "Don't make a sound for me, alright?"
"Toos." She said, putting her fingers on her lips as she tried to copy me.
I nodded, her hands finally less sticky and I lifted her out of her high chair, holding her close and heading to the garage. As I made my way to it, I felt my phone vibrate.

Are you alright?
I don't know. There's weird police guys at the house.
Where are you?

The phone began to vibrate more and I saw that Jai was calling me.
"What?" I whispered as I ducked behind the car in the garage.
"Why are you whispering? Is everything okay?" he asked, sounding a little panicked.
"No..."
"What's wrong?"
"There's weird police guys at the house and they did something to Dad. I texted Uncle Tarot-"
"You did? What did you say?"
"I just asked him to come here and help."
"That's not Uncle Tarot. I talked to Bay just a minute ago and he said that there are weird police guys at the hospital but he's keeping an eye on Sim. He guards the door, scoping them out. He said he got a weird text from Uncle Tarot that said for him to hurry up and get home because there was a surprise and my dad got a strange text for him to go to the office. Something's going on."
Another text came through.

Where are you, Kalij? I'll come and find you and North.

"He just asked where I was... and he said he'd get me and North... Jai, I never said I was at home or that I had North."
"Told you. Lie to him. Say anything."

I'm hiding under the bed in my room.

"Did you do it?"
"Yeah."
"Okay, I need you to get Northern and-"
"Jai, I'm trapped. They know I'm in here with her but they don't know I'm on to them. What do I do? They did something to Dad and now they're going to come after me."
"I hate to say this, Kal, but you're going to have to let them find you."
"Wh- but-"
"Listen, I'm not one of them or whatever you think but I need you to save Northern. We have to protect the ones that are innocent and Northern is just a little baby. I'm driving like crazy to get to Bay's house but when I last spoke with Bay, he said that he was getting a weird feeling and called Uncle Tarot about Prudence but there was no answer. He's so scared for her but he knows he has to protect Sim. You and I are the ones who have to fight this and right now, there is nothing you can do or not do that will save you. But you can save Northern."
"Oh my god! Someone come quick! Mr. Leoda has lost consciousness! Is there anyone here?!" I heard one of the officers yelling.
"Shit, they've started."
"Listen to me, Kalij. Keep your phone on so that I can hear what's going on. I'm coming as fast as I can but I can't save everyone at the same time. You are Northern's only protector and she needs you as her uncle to take up that responsibility. Get her to a safe place and face them head on... I'll be there as fast as I can."
I nodded and sighed. "Okay... I'm putting the phone on speaker and sticking it in my pocket so you can hear everything. I- I won't die, will I?"
"If they didn't kill Dad then there's no reason to kill you. You won't die."
I nodded and stood up.

**************************

JAI
Shit, shit, shit! What the hell is going on?!
"Hello? Hello?"
"Yes?" I heard Kalij say.
"Oh, son, your father's passed out. I think we need to take him to the hospital."
"Well... Why didn't you already call an ambulance?" he asked in his most innocent voice.
"Well, we're the police so we can take him but we wanted to let you know that he had passed out before we took him. Come on, we must go."
"I think I'll just call the ambulance. I've never seen the police take a person to the hospital."
"I think not."
I heard Kalij make a choked sound and a thud and I gulped, trying to keep my own composure as I drove to Tarot's house.
"Rattler to Desert Sand."
"Desert Sand."
"We got the other rat. House has been cleared."
I heard something rumbling and then there was nothing. The line went dead and I cursed. I don't know what that was but I just hoped Northern was alright.
I pulled into Tarot's house and kicked the door down, running to Prudence's room. I could hear her crying loudly and in fear as I searched the house for her. I finally went into her room and yelled, falling back. Prudence was crying under Leilani's bloody body as her limp arms held the baby. I began to cry but I pulled my way into the room and looked at the ransacked place, kneeling down to get Prudence. I swaddled her when I heard the sound of what sounded like someone breathing through a gas mask. I held her close to me and tried to coddle her feared screams.
I finally got her to a muffle when I found her pacifier and moved behind her crib as I saw lights flash on the floor.
"Shame to kill that one. She was a beauty... we could have at least used her in some further experiments."
"I'm sorry but she was being such a nuisance. She wouldn't let that baby go- Wait... where'd that baby go? It couldn't have gotten far."
I squeezed my eyes shut and reached into my pocket to get the knife that my dad had given me. I flipped it out and held Prudence close to me. The crib moved out of my way and I yelled, closing my eyes and just swinging. I know I caught something but I didn't care. I just ran with her and jumped in my car, driving like a crazy person to Dexter's house.