A Certain Page

The pair sat slightly too close to each other, trying their hardest to not watch the movie or look at each other. Sophie felt too warm, and she was very aware of how close Keefe was. If she straightened her fingers, she could probably touch him. She didn't quite know how to feel about that.

"Well," Keefe finally broke the sounds of the passionate couple on the screen, "This sort of reminds me of detention,"

Sophie looked up, extremely incredulous, "How does this," She gestured at the screen, "Remind you of detention? I only remember cornhole and drawing!"

Keefe grinned, leaning back against the couch, "I meant that, just like detention, you're extremely nervous and uncomfortable, and I don't know why or what's happening," he explained, "That's all, though I wouldn't mind if detention got this interesting occasionally," he smirked at Sophie's horrified reaction. 

Sophie wished the movie would just magically stop playing, and that the Vackers would come back. Where had they gone? What a real convenient time to strand her alone. She struggled to find something to say. Finally, she realized it might be time to acknowledge the movie they were watching.

"How's your first movie experience going?" She giggled when Keefe rolled his eyes dramatically, then she gestured to the screen, "I promise not all movies are like this,"

"What ever do you mean?" Keefe smirked, "What's happening in this scene is natural, Foster,"

Sophie laughed. Keefe was absurd. Although, Sophie thought, maybe that was what made him so attractive to her. Maybe she needed a bit of absurdity. 

Suddenly, she was transported back to Lady Cadence's session. To her drawing. She could remember the picture perfectly, in all its badly sketched glory. She felt a wave of embarrassment as she made eye contact with Keefe.

"Wow, that emotional show was more interesting than the movie we're supposed to be watching together," Keefe smirked, "Wanna tell me what's going on?"

 Sophie really didn't but she knew he wouldn't drop it. Besides, how bad could his reaction be? She could pass it off as a joke as a last resort anyway, couldn't she? She thought back to the detention from Friday, the other time she had been almost willing to tell Keefe how she really felt. Then she remembered the feeling of panic when she realized what she could've done.

"Oh my- Foster, is this about that freaking notebook?" Keefe ran a hand through his hair and sighed so deeply Sophie was sure he was playing up his distress, "What was even in it?"

"None of your business," Sophie mumbled, picking at the carpet.

"If I can guess, will you tell me?"

"No," Sophie told him, her voice rising incredulously, "My business is my business!"

Sophie was done with the conversation, but Keefe obviously was not. "What if I promised not to tell anyone?" He pleaded, trying to get her to look at him, but she was refusing adamantly.

"Nope"

"Is it a crush? Or an embarrassing story?" He prompted, and Sophie sighed.

"Keefe, really, if I was going to tell you, I would've done it already. Can we just leave it alone?" She asked, hoping he might actually drop things for once, but that was too much to expect.

"But it has to do with me!" He complained.

"How do you know that?" Sophie retorted, hoping her emotions stayed even. She could feel nerves rising in her chest.

"Aha!" Keefe shouted triumphantly, "Because you feel nervous every time you're around me! You can't look at me without being embarrassed about that notebook!" He sighed, "Wouldn't it be easier to just tell me whatever you're hiding. I promise I won't tell a soul, I won't even laugh,"

Sophie sighed, knowing the consequences of spilling her guts to Keefe. Would they be able to have a friendship with that information hanging over their heads at all times? She could try to pass it off as just a drawing born from boredom, but he had already felt the emotions that went along with that drawing, and now she was stuck. She couldn't tell him. Not until she was sure whether or not he felt the same way.

But how could she do that?

"Look Keefe," She told him, finally making eye contact, "I'm really not trying to cause problems by keeping this secret, but I'm not ready to tell you about what's in that notebook just yet, how about in the mean time, let's pretend that notebook page doesn't even exist," She offered, "Is that okay with you?"

When Keefe nodded, she got up and held out her hand. He took it, and together, they left the room where Titanic was still playing, the awkward scene long gone and...

Ran straight into Fitz and Biana.