Four

I am aware that RDJ/Tony Stark may not wear prescription glasses but I think he would look sexy in glasses.

Tony was finally able to go home after three long hours. He was exhausted despite the nap he got at the hospital. He stands quietly in the door as Steve got ready for bed. He didn't want to make a noise out of fear of setting him off. He wasn't sure if he should come in or not so he waits until he is told to move.

Steve looks over after pulling his shirt off.

"Yes? Can I help you?"

"Where do you want me to sleep?" Tony asked, not meeting his eye.

"Wherever you damn well please. I don't care anymore."

Tony hesitates then nods, turning away. "I love you."

He hears a grunt in response and tells himself he didn't care. That it didn't hurt. He presses the back of his hand to his lips to stifle a soft sob. He opens the door to Peter's room, figuring he wouldn't mind lending his empty bed.

Tony curls up into a ball and stared blankly at the periodic table poster on the opposite wall. They had got it because Peter found it hilarious that sulfur was spelled wrong. Hugging the pillow close to his chest, he finally closed his eyes. He falls into a dreamless sleep. All he hears are five little words.

"I love you Tony Stark."

Tony jerked upright. Who said that? It wasn't Steve. Steve hadn't said those words in at least four years. It wasn't Peter either. The voice was too deep. Shaking himself awake, Tony feels around for his phone and turns the screen on. Blinking against the bright light, he looks at the time. It was almost three A.M. It was normal for him to get up before dawn, as he is a light sleeper. He has been since Steve started to be violent. One time he had fallen asleep and woke up with a dislocated knee and a sprained wrist. Since then, he was always on edge. Always cautious. He had to stay alive long enough for Peter to move out. God only knows what would happen if something happened and Tony wasn't around any more. Groaning a little, he swung his legs over the bedside and stands. He needed a shower and a shave. He also needed a change of clothes, but wasn't stupid enough to go into the master bedroom. He could change at the office. He always kept a change of clothes there for emergencies.

He checks his phone one last time and this time sees a text alert. It was from an unknown number. He squints at the screen before reaching for his glasses, not wanting to bother with contacts.

Hi...This is Stephen. Strange. I'm sorry it's so late, I was in surgery. Peter gave me your number and I wanted to give you mine just in case you need it. For any reason. Anyway, you're probably asleep now, so sorry if I woke you.

Tony felt himself smile. Then his eyes widen. Stephen. Oh god. It made so much sense now. But why did he say that? Was it out of pity? He wasn't worthy of being loved. That is what Steve told him. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, closing his eyes. His breath is shaky. Why did this happen to him? He doesn't deserve the attention of Stephen. He was......kind and wonderful and- Oh fuck! What if Steve found out? Tony wanted to scream but of course didn't.