Eleven

In this universe, Edwin Jarvis did not work for the Starks so Tony never met him

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony fells his heart drop as he turned around. He knew that voice, even if it's been fifteen years since he heard it.

"James Barnes." He takes a deep breath to prepare him for the conversation.

"I don't have a lot to say to you." James starts.

"I don't have anything to say to you." Tony says bluntly.

"I just have one question."

"Fine. Ask away." Tony waves his hand before crossing his arms.

"What did you do to Steve to make him look for comfort outside of his marriage? His morals are very important to him. He loved you but you drove him away."

Tony watches the other man's expression harden.

"Is that what he tells you?" Tony lets out a short laugh.

"You're an abusive alcoholic. I don't need him to tell me that."

"I'm the abusive-I-I'm the abuser?!?" Tony nearly screeched. "Do you want to know why I've been in this god forsaken place at least twice a month for the last fifteen years?" He flung his hand towards the building.

"Because you're a stupid drunken bastard?" James asked as he lights a cigarette.

Tony stands up straight and pulls off his suit jacket. He tosses it aside and rolls up his sleeves to display the scars and bruises in various states of healing. "Steve Rogers is a liar and I feel sorry for you if you believe that he actually loves you because he loves no one but himself. He lashes out when he doesn't get his way and he will 'put you in your place' as he calls it. Wake up James. He doesn't love you. He just needed someone to fuck."

James' expression changed from disgust to confusion to horror.

"Why should I believe you?"

"Is seeing not proof enough?"

"They could be self inflicted." James' argumentt was starting to crack. He didn't even sound convinced himself anymore.

"James." Tony's tone softens. "Please don't defend him. I know you want to, I did for years. He isn't worth your time."

"I'm screwing your husband and you aren't breaking my face right now? What is up with that?"

Tony takes a breath before looking up. "Because Steve isn't worth me wasting my time on or me worrying. What I am worried about is getting out of that relationship and being happy. Being happy is not something I can not do with Steve in my life."

James puts out the cigarette. "I have some things to think about. Have a nice life Tony."

Tony watches him go back inside and he leaned down to pick up his jacket. He slides it back on and goes back inside just to see James pulling Steve into a spare room. He had just spotted Stephen and was making his way over when a woman in a gold gown and curly brown hair gently taps his shoulder.

"Anthony Stark?" She asked in a thick British accent.

"Do I know you?" Tony asked, confused.

"Not yet. My name is Peggy Carter and we need to talk."