Afterparty

"I gotta go", I said when I saw her across the room. Her lips on someone else's. "What? You just got here!", my friend Veronica said. "I know, but I'm not feeling so well. I think I shouldn't have downed 6 shots at once", I said. I walked passed her. "Mandy!", I heard her yell after me. I grabbed my jacket from the coat rack and walked outside.

A few cars were passing me by before I crossed the street. I got my earphones from my pocket and put them in, playing some random songs as I walked home.

I walked around the corner when I heard someone yell. It was fading the more I kept walking. I just brushed it off, thinking it was from the song I was listening to.

Seconds after, it was back. I took out my left earplug and turned around.

"Finally." I frowned. "Have you been following me all the way over here?", I asked. She nodded. "Why?" We kept walking as she talked. "I saw you leaving. You seemed a little upset, I think. I was wondering if you're okay", she said. "Emily, I'm okay. Just feeling a little sick, that's all." She nodded. "I'll walk you home then." I looked at her. "What about the party? Your date?", I asked. "My date?" I nodded. "Amber? She's not my date", she said. "I saw you two kissing. Don't tell me it isn't a date when you're kissing", I said and chuckled. "You saw that?" I nodded. She sighed. "Great", she said. "It's not?" She shook her head.

As we reached my house, I smiled at her. "Thanks for walking me all the way home", I said. She nodded. "I'll see you later." I turned around to enter my house, when she spoke again. "Mandy?", she said. I stopped and turned around. "Would you like to walk some more? With me", she asked quietly. I nodded. "I'd like that", I said smiling. "I just need to change real quick." She smiled and nodded.

I ran upstairs, quickly grabbed a pair of jeans and a sweater and changed into it. I put on my converse and tried tying the laces while I tried walking down the stairs.

Within seconds, I was back outside. Emily was sitting on a bench that was facing the street.

"Don't get all lazy on me", I said. She jumped up. "Jesus, you scared me. How did you do that so fast?" "I am fast", I said and winked.

We walked towards a park. Only the sound of her heels clicking against the pavement was there.

"About Amber", she started. "We're just friends." I chuckled. "It's okay if you're dating. You don't have to lie about it." "No that's not what I mean. We're literally just friends." I nodded. "Look", she started. "Can we sit for a bit? My feet hurt like hell", she said changing the subject. "Sure", I said as we walked to a bench at the edge of the park.

"Look", she said as we sat down. "Amber tried to kiss me. It happened for like, a split second." "And you didn't want it?", I asked. She shook her head. "I pushed her away right after. We've been friends for years and I never knew she was into me." I chuckled. "She follows you everywhere you go, she does whatever you ask from her and she is so clingy. How could you not see that?" She looked at me.

"Because I only had eyes for you."

I frowned. "What?" My heart was racing, beating in my throat. She looked down at her feet. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have just blurt that out", she said. "It's okay." I tried to stay calm. "I tried talking to you about it. I wanted to ask you out last Friday when we were supposed to hang out, but you never showed up. I thought you suspected something and decided to stay away", she said. I shook my head. "No, I swear. I had to babysit my little brother all of a sudden because my parents rushed off to the hospital, so with all the hectic I completely forgot. I'm sorry", I said. She shrugged her shoulders. "It's okay. I mean, I at least told you now. Just a few days later." I chuckled. "Yeah."

It was quiet.

"So..", she said. "You're waiting for an answer, aren't you?", I asked. She smiled and nodded.

"Well, uhm.." And with that, I pressed my lips on hers. I felt a small tension in her face, but it quickly went away as her fingers traced my jawline.

She sighed as we pulled away.

"So you do feel the same way", she said. I bit my lip and smiled. "For a while now, yeah." She shook her head. "I should've told you months ago", she said. I chuckled. "Maybe you should have." She raised as eyebrow. "Or you should've told me", she said. I laughed. "Have you seen me and have you seen yourself? You're popular as hell, and I thought with those guys around you.." "No", she just said cutting me off.

"So like, would you like to go out sometime, maybe? See a movie, have dinner, get coffee or whatever", she said nervously. I nodded. "I would love that", I said calmly. She took it as a sign, and let out a deep sigh. "Got it." I smiled.

"I should get home", I said. "I'll walk you", she said and got up. Her face changed as she reached for her foot. "Fuck!", she yelled. "Fucking blisters." She threw off her shoes. "I guess I'll be taking you home then", I said as I motioned for her to get on my back.

"You don't have to", she said. "Come on before I change my mind." She smiled and jumped on my back. She wrapped her arms around my neck, holding her shoes.

"You're heavier than I thought", I said pretending to fall. "Bitch", she said as she put her shoes under my nose. "That's disgusting!" She couldn't stop laughing.