It's A Sad Reunion

Joe watched as she slept. They had always been close, unusually so. He always felt like he was supposed to protect her, deliver her from the dangers of the world. It was his job to make sure bad things didn't happen. Joe assumed that that's what big brothers felt for little sisters, so he looked at her in that mind set. The little sister he never had. He couldn't help tracing her freckles with his eyes as she dreamed.

You've always had these freckles. He thought fondly, resisting the urge to touch her cheek. His mind traveled back to when he was very young. On the day his dad had to go over and tell Khirsten and her father that their mother and wife had most likely died in a fiery car crash. He was in the cop car. He saw the little girl crying, and he had never forgotten the pain he could hear. The brokenness that slowly etched it's way on the face of the man who cradled a young girl.

It had changed him, it had shaped him. He decided that day that he wanted to protect people. People like that little girl. His thoughts froze as she shifted in her sleep. His eyes trailed to the clock as she began to stir. He stifled a laugh as she let out a little yelp, slowly settling back into a light sleep.

Joe couldn't say that her affections didn't move him; it was hard to ignore that kind of attention. It was nice to know he had at least one person so infatuated with him. He didn't understand it though. He was nothing special. He heard her stifle a yawn as she rubbed her eyes and began stretching. Embarrassment flooded him and he turned his head suddenly.

"Well good morning sunshine!" He greeted, acting as though he hadn't noticed she had awoken- as thought he hadn't been watching her sleep. "Happy birthday as well."

Khirsten paused mid-stretch for a moment, then bounded off the couch, "I have to go!"

Joe felt himself wince inwardly, Stupid! How could he have forgotten that tonight was the night her mother had been pronounced dead? He watched as she raced about, collecting her things and head towards the door.

"Wait." He commanded, "You're not going alone. Not after what happened."

She rolled her eyes, "Well, come on then!"

Khirsten didn't wait for Joe to follow as she raced to her house, hurriedly collecting her things. She felt Joe's presence before he entered the room, felt his questioning eyes take mental note of the things she was gathering; a back pack, a small blanket, a jacket, her wallet, the flower, a spade, and a small book. He watched as she hoisted everything on her shoulders and began walking out the house, through her yard and towards the front gate. She stopped at the end of her walkway, standing impatiently.

She laughed as Joe suddenly snapped to attention and followed after her.

"You're not all with it today." Khirsten teased, elbowing him gently as they walked.

"Well," he responded slowly, unsure of how to answer that while remaining in neutral territory.

He snorted at himself, I was just watching you sleep. That's not creepy or crazy intimate or anything. "It's been an eventful twenty-four hours. Besides, once we get back to your place I'll have to show you the door I fixed, and all the new locks I've installed."

Khirsten's eyes widened as shock flowed through her, "You mean... You fixed my house?"

She felt him nod, felt the pride and embarrassment, saw his smile out of the corner of her eye. Felt her heart jump at the sight of those wrinkles just barely visible. Her eyes travelled towards his, noticing the dark curcles, the blood shot whites, and the glimmering golden brown.

He knocked into her playfully as he surpassed her, "Speed up slow poke." He winked.

"Did you sleep at all?!" She scolded, immediately regretting her words.