It's A Thought

"That was exhausting." He sighed, throwing his jacket down on his sisters couch.

He lazily reached for his cell phone, groaning at the million missed messages. Almost all from work. He let out a deep sigh as his fingers went through the buttons on his phone from memory, listening to messages, deleting messages, saving messages. He paused halfway through, reality suddenly hitting him.

"Damn." He lay back, kicking his feet over the arm rest as he lightly tossed his phone onto the coffee table beside him. He was on vacation, he wasn't supposed to be in charge of a new case. Especially not with his neighbor girl with those damn beautiful blue eyes and that golden red hair.

I hadn't noticed that freckle though... Joe's eyes drifted shut and his mind wandered to the little brown fleck in Khirsten's left eye. His eyes snapped back open, "Double damn." He growled, snatching up his phone and prowling out to the back porch.

"Can't get any rest here." He hissed, reasoning as he almost frantically went back to pressing buttons on his phone. He didn't dare to close his eyes as his voice mail droned on and on in an annoying mechanical female's voice. "May as well work."

"Or not." Thundered Lisa as she stormed past, snapping his cell phone from his grasp and snapping it shut.

"Lisa?" He yelled, "What the hell?! Gimme my phone back!"

She just shook her head, "You're on vacation and we have a beautiful sunny day and an ocean in our backyard. Go relax you stupid head."

"Lisa!" He barked, his eyes catching movement from next door. His muscles froze in subconscious anticipation.

Lisa began turning her head to see what had caught his attention. Joe snapped out of it and took that moment to reach forward and try to snatch his phone back.

"Ah ah ah!" she teased, wagging a finger and holding his phone higher out of reach, "No sir. You're not getting this back unless I give it to you. Go flirt with the neighbor girl." She teased as she slipped back inside.

His eyes went straight next door at those words, he barely noticed Lisa giving a satisfied snort as she walked inside. Joe watched as the neighbor's back door opened and out stepped Khirsten. His breath hitched in his chest as he watched her casually strolled onto the beach, as though she didn't know what she was doing to him. Her creamy skin was perfect in the pale blue bikini, her hair hung in a loose braid to her waist. He looked away, turning around and slinking inside even as Khirsten called to him. He wasn't doing this, he wasn't touching her. He was not attracted. She was like a little sister, he had to protect her. Besides, she was so much younger. A whole six years. She had so much growing she still had to do. He couldn't.

Lisa sent up a curious glance from her television show as he stormed through the house and into the guest bedroom. She opened her mouth to let out something that would have been annoyingly 'told-you-so'ish.

"Don't ask." He growled, nearly slamming his door shut.

"Respect my house!" She shouted through the walls.

"Sorry!" He yelled back, laying on his bed. Propping his head up with his arms his mind began to wander through the recent events of his life. Everything had turned around when he was sent to New York for a conference and training session for his department. It was there he met a man named Devon and a young woman named Chelsea, it was there he was taught about the war that was going on, and it was those two who had given him and countless other humans, and slightly non-humans, the duty of protecting the mortal realm from the war against the Unseelie. It had been almost too incredible to believe, but for the fact that they could use magic. They had introduced him to a world he had never believed in before.