It's Spreading

She watched from the darkness. Only one word could describe the emotion she felt in that moment. Envy.

There the little tart lay, asleep, unaware, uncaring of her existence or power. She had chosen a mortal man over her people, over her kind. She was young, she had harnessed a power the onlooker could never wield or even imagine. And yet the stupid little git had chosen a human man to follow and devote herself to. Did she not know of the power her kind rightfully wielded? Did she not realize her heritage of strength, revenge, power?

Did she not care?!

The woman shook her head violently. She had to care. There was no way she couldn't care. After all it was her legacy, her birthright! She just didn't know which side to choose yet. She was young, she had lived her life among the humans. Of course she was confused.

But soon, my little one, you shall come to know the full power of your kind. The true capabilities of what you can do. She reached out, from her hand sprung shadowy extensions. She caressed the young selkies hair as she slept, withdrawing only when the young girl shuddered at the cold touch. Reluctantly the woman pulled back, suddenly ashamed and hurt. Once more the flames of envy and anger revived within her. All tenderness had fled.

As she turned to go she sent one last glance backwards.

You will never be better than me again. She promised, sliding back under the waves without causing so much as a ripple in the glassy calm waters.

Khirsten stretched in the warm sun, sitting and patting the sand off her clothes. She may have loved the ocean, but she hated the amount of sand that got everywhere. She knew that she'd be washing sand out of her hair for the next week, if not longer. She turned to wake Joe to find him already gone. Startled she leapt up and looked around. The longer she looked the more her panic grew. She started walking along the surf, nearly frantic. She had begun calling out his name.

"God calm down!" Came a familiar male shout.

Khirsten pressed a hand to her heart as she felt the pounding start to slow.

"Joe!" she gasped, "where were you?!" She ran towards him, stopping short at the smell, "Oh I'm hungry."

"You don't say?" He winked. Khirsten nearly melted, "I grabbed us some real food. I don't know about you but raw sea fish isn't really my idea of fine dining."

Khirsten sent him a dry glance, "Oh," she muttered between mouthfuls of doughnut, "And this is?" she held up and shook her coffee.

"Better than damn fish." He grunted as he sat on the sand beside her, stuffing his face.

"Nice clothes by the way." She teased.

"Oh?" He looked down, he hadn't even noticed that he was garbed, "Yeah... thanks..." He blushed.

"I didn't dress you," she confessed at his awkward and decidedly red face, "I couldn't even look at you. There were some guys who got really drunk so I took their clothes after they passed out and had an older guy help me out with the... dressing part." Now she was blushing.

He raised a brow, "Uh-huh."

"Okay," she huffed, taking a deep gulp of coffee, "So I peeked a little."

She waited in silence, anxiety gnawing at her as he finished his coffee and doughnuts calmly. She started pecking at her food, her stomach in knots. Finally she glanced at him, the smug look on his face made the situation worse.

"You're enjoying this." She snapped as she took a giant bite of her last doughnut.

"Like what you saw?" His voice came out much more gravelly and gruff than he intended. It surprised him. He was only supposed to be teasing, "No, no." He amended, "Sorry. I shouldn't have asked that."