Chapter 12

/Flashback's will always be in italics. There will be more soon so just remember that, loves./

...

"Lucy!" Her mother hollered from the kitchen. She had been holed up in the family library, reading again. She took her glasses off, rubbing her knuckles over her sore eyes, before slipping them back on and stretching. Lucy rushed down the stairs before tripping on the last step and tumbling out onto the cold, hard floor.

"See, Judy, she can't even walk down stairs without screwing up," her father's voice boomed from beside her mother.

Lucy picked her head up and looked at them. Her father, wearing a hard mask over his features, which appeared to be cut by a blade. Perfectly chiseled and strong. Her mother, the same look of pleading eyes, undoubtedly wishing her youngest daughter wasn't such a burden on the family. Frannie, her older sister, sat at the table and glared at her. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Lucy stood slowly, brushing off imaginary lint from her purple dress. She bowed her head and spoke softly. "Yes, mother?"

"Dinner is ready. Please take your seat at the table." Lucy picked up her head and smiled softly at her mother. She took a seat across from her sister and poured herself a cup of juice as always.

Her father sat down at the table before her mother, as she was busy placing the perfectly prepared Italian dinner in front of everyone. The plates already full and made to look like they were in a five star restaurant, the garnish placed lightly over the pasta and simple swirls and patterns of sauce were on the outer edge. A dinner that wasn't unusual for the family. Her father always got the best.

Halfway through the dinner, however, Lucy ran out of the juice she had previous poured. As she reached to pour some more of the dark red juice into her glass, the container slipped from her hand and red ran onto the table, bleeding into a large splash on the white cloth. Silently she cursed her clumsiness and the fact that they always had to eat with the white cloth on the table. Slowly she picked up the jug, set everything down, all the while unaware of the way her father was stewing in his seat. His face becoming hot. Lucy didn't notice the way he placed his large hands above the table, only his fingertips coming in contact with the surface as he rose from his seat. She did notice when he said her name though, like poison off of his tongue.

"Lucy, please join me in the den. I have something I would like to say to you, then I think it would be best if after you went to bed."

"Yes, father." Lucy awkwardly pushed her chair out and stood, tears already threatening to fall as she knew what was coming. She turned away from her unaware sister and the look of her guilty mother. Russell grabbed her by the sleeve of her sweater, effectively forcing her to walk with him to the den.

...

Lucy stood by the mirror in her room. Her eyes darted to the clock on her nightstand reading 3:23. She sighed and pulled up her pyjama shirt, studying the new bruises that already seemed to blend in with the old, yellowing ones. She let more tears fall while she stared hard at the harsh, red slashes that she newly etched on her skin. Lucy just wanted to find love or at least know she wasn't such a fuck up.