Chapter 16

"Quinnie, why haven't you brought a nice boy home from Yale for Russell and I to meet?"

Quinn chewed her lip and sighed. Phone calls with her mother were always painful to say the least, but she at least had to pretend like she liked her family, despite the burning of bile in her throat at the very thought of them.

"Mom.. do you really want to know?" Quinn had been toying with the idea of coming out to her parents for awhile. Maybe it would finally be good enough excuse for them to leave her alone.

"Well that's why I asked, Quinnie." From through the phone Quinn could hear the clinking of ice in a glass. Scotch, the drink of the Fabray household. Her mother was already drinking so this should be fun.

"I'm gay, mom." The words left her lips and she couldn't take them back. The silence on the other end of the line was killing Quinn. She knew her mom would say something along the lines of 'Russell won't like that. Maybe it's best if we take time before we talk again, Quinnie.' And sure enough, those very words left Judy Fabray's own lips before the line promptly went dead. 

Seven years later, and she still hadn't heard her mother's voice.

...

Quinn sat on the plushy red chair in front of her editor. The older woman looked at her through the thick rimmed glasses and smiled. Carol had always been like the mother Quinn had always needed in her life.

"I found you a publisher. You really want this?" the woman raised her perfectly sculpted eyebrow at Quinn.

"I've spent four years making that book everything I could've ever imagined it to be. It's like my life," Quinn exclaimed as she popped her feet up on the chair beside her own.

"That's because it is your life, Quinn. You really want people to read the.. you know.." It had been two years since she read the first draft and she could never say the words.

"Maybe there is some other little girl out there, or any girl for that matter, that is being abused or has been. I want.. no, need them to know that they aren't alone." Quinn's mind instantly went to Rachel falling into her arms last night. Her cheek bright. A look that Quinn had bared on her own body far more often than anyone should ever.

"I'll call them then. You should get the first copy in about a month or so." Carol smiled a gentle smile before picking up the phone, indicating that the conversation was settled, before Quinn grabbed her book bag and left.