Chapter 14

"Lucy!" her father's voice exploded. She knew she would get it. She cursed and quickly made her way downstairs, ready to accept whatever sick punishment her father had for her. All she had done was leave a bit of a mess in the kitchen, but she still should know better. She usually knew better.

Luckily, her father was due for a business trip in the next few days. Enough time for the small bruises to heal and the larger ones to fade. Maybe she would actually see what colour her skin was on her thighs. It would be nice to wear something with short sleeves and not have to explain that she was "just a klutz."

-

"Quinn?" the brunette's voice travelled softly throughout the apartment. Quinn woke up from the memory presenting itself in her sleep and looked over at the girl. "I can't sleep and I was just.. well maybe.. could you come and just.. sleep in bed?" the request came out almost silently. The brunette shook her head and turned back around. "Actually. It was silly of me to ask. We aren't even close so if you refuse I understand, and I don't expect you to feel any obligation."

"I could.. just until you fall asleep.. I could do that," the blonde replied slowly. The last thing she wanted was for Rachel to feel uncomfortable, and a night of restless sleeping was almost a recipe for just that. Quinn stood up and stretched out, yawning.

"Oh. Uhm.. yeah. Okay." The smaller girl clearly wasn't expecting the positive response. Rachel walked back into the bedroom with Quinn trailing behind her. Quinn knew the blush creeping up along her skin was thankfully hidden in the dark shadows of night.

The pair tentatively slipped into the bed on their separate sides. Quinn laid on her back, not sure what to do with herself before a smaller hand bumped against her own before taking it. Quinn's heart pounded and she wondered if Rachel could hear the fluttering of butterflies in Quinn's body.

"Thank you, Quinn," were the last words said of the night. Rachel squeezed Quinn's hand and let out a quiet sigh of relief. The blonde eventually fell back asleep to the sound of rain falling against the windows, and the soft snores of the dreaming woman beside her.