Chapter 19

A/N: Just a few more to tie some loose ends from the plot and that might be it.

...

It had been seven months since Rachel had found out. Initially it was hard for Quinn, because Quinn knew Rachel wouldn't feel like that, partly because she wasn't gay and partly because she had fresh heartbreak still resting on her from Finn. The pair had grown closer and oftentimes Quinn would come home to Rachel rummaging through her movie collection or snooping in her fridge for the vegan chocolates Quinn had made sure to keep in stock. They had gone on the picnic with the wine like they had planned on the night Finn had hit Rachel, and many more after that. 'Friends can go on dates together,' the shorter woman would say as Quinn continued to try and convince her that people would have ideas. Their relationship had grown in a way that was never possible in high school. They were women, no longer girls, and they could learn each other with a new light.

...

On this particular night, Rachel rushed into the apartment using the key Quinn had given her. The sweet smell of wine was carried with her as she moved to flop herself down on Quinn's couch. Quinn turned in her chair at her desk and looked at the brunette. Her hair was slightly messy in the loose ponytail and her makeup smudged her cheeks black.

"Quinn, do you ever feel so lost within yourself that you can't breathe anymore?" Rachel's eyes moved from the spot on the floor to Quinn's eyes currently behind her reading glasses.

Quinn stood, making her way over to the couch and sat beside Rachel, putting her arms around the presumably intoxicated woman and pulling her against her own chest.

"What has happened?" Quinn inquired as she pulled Rachel's long hair from the elastic and began to run her fingers into it.

"Finn called. He was.. he wants me again." The words came thick from the throat, venom dripping from every syllable. The younger woman had made her disgust for the joke of a man clear many times.

"You know you can't go back. You need to find someone that would do anything to make you happy." Quinn said as her jaw rested against Rachel's temple.

"See.. the other thing is.. I've already found that person." Rachel whispered, her voice barely audible above the slightly laboured breathing coming from the two. The close embrace seemingly affecting more than Quinn has anticipated.

"You've been drinking, you should really wait until you're sober before thinking of these things."

"I get drunk to escape these thoughts because it's easier to accept that I could be in love with a woman when I'm drunk." Rachel slurred out in a rush and Quinn's heart jerked in her chest. Surely it was the wine talking. Rachel wasn't gay. She had told Quinn countless times that it can't work.

Rachel's head picked up and she looked at Quinn, who was currently having a thunderstorm of thoughts raging in her head. Rachel leaned her lips in close to Quinn's, her feathery breathing dancing across the red flesh as her lips hovered.