10 - Part 2

May 18, 2010

The sun was brighter than usual that day. Heatwave was spreading across Anirudh's room as he smoked a filter cigarette, scratching his beard. They often felt like just thorns to him. He looked down at his palm, rough from the thorns on his face. If his calloused hand could get this pink from the beard, he could only imagine how it would be when he runs his beard down Hansika's body as she writhed under him. The twenty-two-year-old beast groaned, rubbing the butt of the cigarette in the ashtray.

Not bothering to adorn a shirt in the house occupied all by women, he sauntered to the living room in just his checkered boxers. Meenal was seated in the rocking chair, eyes closed, thoughts of her late husband filling her mind. One year had passed since his third heart attack. And you know what they say: third time's the charm. Apparently, the charm was his death.

"Mom." He stopped the rocking chair with his feet. Meenal's heart stopped for a second. Her eyes opened wide, and then relaxed when she saw that it was her son after all.

"Gosh, Anirudh? I've told you not to scare me like this."

"I'm not coming to Varanasi," he said, taking a seat on the couch opposite to her. She erected her spine and leaned forward, her back muscles throbbing from the sudden movement.

"What?"

"Rekha Aunty's coming with you anyways. She can take care of you. I can't come, Mom."

"And why not, Anirudh? It's your father's rituals. You're supposed to perform them. Don't you want to pay him respect?"

Anirudh cocked his head to the side and frowned empathetically. He reached forward and wiped her tears away.

"Mom, you know I don't believe in those things. I believe Dad has left his body and is here in spirit with us right now. Don't you think so?"

Crystal, the stray white kitten they found a week after Dad's death - now a grown cat - came to Anirudh's feet and purred as if right on cue.

"I'd rather believe Crystal's an incarnation of our Dad than all the bull the Pandits feed you in that city."

Meenal shook her head in confusion. "Ani, if you were going to deny coming to his rituals, why did you even say yes in the beginning? You booked the flight tickets for all of us yourself, including Neeraj, Hansika, and Rekha."

But that was before Hansika dropped out of the plan because she had to attend exams, Anirudh thought.

"I thought about it, Mom. And I changed my mind. I can't do things I don't actually believe in or mean for my father. I won't stop you from going or curb you of what you believe is best for him." He cupped her face and looked into her eyes, saying it as he meant it. Anirudh was a charmer, alright.

"But, Anirudh..."

"Mom. Trust me. You go to Varanasi and pay him respects the way you know. I know what I'll be doing."

During that dramatic pause he took, he noted Meenal's eyes growing curious and he knew he had her attention. With a little manipulation, he could properly net the fish and carry the prize.

"I've talked to the caretakers of Gupta's orphanage. On dad's one year death anniversary, I'll be volunteering for all three meals for the 248 kids in the orphanage and spending the day with them. You know how much Dad loved volunteering. One of the caretakers also recognized his name when I told them."

He held her hand. "Mom, this is the only way I know to pay that good man respect. Please let me."

Meenal closed her eyes and thought. Anirudh half-smiled. The fish was in. He slowly ran the pad of his thumbs across the crease of her wrinkling hand. And he brought it to his face, resting his cheek on them.