14 - Part 2

April 20, 2018

The sky is a mix of light blue and purple, wherein it's trying to stay calm but the sadness is leaking out. Just a proper poke can get it to weep, but no one quite feels like disrupting the process. The process of redemption.

Hansika gets the medical bill from the counter as another hand reaches for it. She flinches away and the hand immediately raises up in defense.

"It's just me, Ma'am. Just Jogi."

Hansika mutters a quick apology. He's dead, Hansika. Stop behaving like this.

"It's alright, ma'am. I understand. I'm sorry as well," he says, taking the bill from her softly. He pays for it and collects the medicine in silence.

"I had my card with me, Jogi. I could've paid for it myself," she says.

Jogi replies, "I'm sure you could have, ma'am. But I needed to pay with Ayansh's card so that the bills can help when health insurance is being claimed." He adds with a sly smile, "I do work for an insurance company, you know?"

Hansika's lips form a thin line. She feels guilty for her words immediately.

"Hansika... Ma'am," Jogi says, "don't over think anything, please. You're safe. I won't ask you to trust me. That's a huge word and I don't expect it out of you so soon. But know that you're safe."

Hansika nods, feeling grateful. Why couldn't men like Jogi bless her life sooner? All her life, Hansika has yearned for a better representative of the male community. And now, it all comes together.

Hansika and Jogi walk in silence towards Ayansh's room. Jogi stops in his tracks midway.

"I just realized the time. You're supposed to meet the counselor now, ma'am."

Hansika shakes her head. "Ayansh first."

"Ma'am, I'll take care of him. It's his discharge today anyways. You need to talk to the counselor. Please, ma'am."

"Jogi, please."

"Ma'am, I can't let you skip another session. It's not healthy for you and Ayansh will kill me if he knew I let you skip."

She sighs. "It does not matter, Jogi. Nothing matters except Ayansh's health."

Jogi's jaw tightens. "With all due respect, Ma'am, how dare you say that?"

Hansika gulps.

"I plead you not to belittle the things that happened to you. You're important to my best friend Ayansh. Hence, you're important to me too. And I simply refuse to let you treat yourself this way. Now, please go to Dr. Grace's room for the counseling session. I promise it'll be alright."

Hansika looks away. "You don't have to take care of me, Jogi," she says in a little voice.

"Stop that right now. I care for you and Ayansh cares for you. It's there, and you need to come to terms with that. I understand it's difficult, but you can't go on thinking you have nobody, Hansika. You have us."

Hansika looks at him, her eyes blurry with tears. It's a feeling she absolutely does not want to feel. It's a feeling she does not want to get used to. But she can't help it. For the first time in forever, she wants to feel safe without constraints.