4

A few days later and Calum and Luke show up at Ashton's house.

"What's up?" he says answering the door.

"We are hanging out today, and you are coming with us," Calum pretty much demands.

"Do I have a choice?" Ashton questions.

"Nope," Luke says turning back the way they came.

Ashton laughs a little and grabs his keys and a hoodie calling back to his mum that he's off out.

"Where's Mikey?" Ashton asks skipping a little to catch up with the duo.

"We have to go and get him," Luke informs as they walk.

Michael's house isn't too far away, it's about a 20 minute walk but they normally use Ashton's car as he's the only one who can drive. But they get there and knock on the dor anyway.

When Michael answers he's in his boxers and a plain tshirt, his hair is a mess and he looks like he's just rolled out of bed as he says, "Helloo"

"Have you just woken up?" Calum hisses.

"No I've been lieing in bed texting Krissy for about an hour," he says running his fingers through his hair.

"Oh," Ashton says trying not to sound jealous.

"So dude, get dressed we are going to chill in town today!" Luke says.

Michael sighs, "Okay, give me a minute"

He turns to run up the stairs but then turns back.

"Can I invite Krissy? I know she's bored today," he says.

Ashton almost shrinks away at this point, he should be the one inviting her but no, it just had to be Michael.

"Yeah, then we can invite Ri and Alex," Luke says talking about Kristine's two friends who they are apparently really close to all of a sudden.

Ashton sighs, apparently a little too audiable as the three boys turn around to him.

"That is okay, isn't it?" Calum frowns to Ashton.

"Oh, y-yeah it's- it's alright," he stammers scratching the back of his neck and pacing a few steps.

"Awesome!" Michael exclaims bringing out his phone.

Ashton paces around on the pathway while the boys text and Michael changes. They arrange for the girls to meet them at the shopping center that's only about 15 minutes away and when Michael is ready they get going.

While walking Ashton feels almost left out. They have that awkward situation where the pathway isn't wide enough to fit 4 people but still manages to fit 3, so Cal, Luke and Mikey walk in a row and Ashton trails behind. What makes it worse is that they're all talking about Alexis, Riley and (worst of all) Kristine. Ashton can't help but feel jealous, he could have stopped walking, he could have gone home, and none of them would even care really.

When the girls arrive there's a strange display of hugs and Alexis and Luke even kiss while Ashton stands with his hands in his pocket. They station themselves at a table in to food court after buying some food. On one side of the table sit Riley, Alexis and Kristine and then on the other Calum, Luke and Michael which leaves Ashton sat at the end.

He wouldn't be having such a miserable time if it weren't for the fact that Michael and Kristine, who are at the opposite side of the table to him, are very cut off and talking to only eachother. Ri, Cal, Alex and Luke all participate in conversation well but even at that Ashton can't help himself from staring at his Zelda. Luckinly for him Michael and Kristine are too caught up to notice but the other 4 do.

"Make it more obvious dude," Luke mutters.

"W-what?" Ashton shakes.

"You're so crushing on Michael's girl," Calum says.

"What no I just dozed off for a second," Ashton defends. "And how is she Michael's girl, they're not dating surely she's closer to being my girl, I've known her longer, come on we're best friends for christ sake"

"That's not what it looks like," Luke adds.

"Anyway, calm down dude, I was only saying, no need to get all jealous," Calum continues.

Ashton just lets out a loud puff sulks down into his chair.

When they leave to go home they push all their chairs in and walk to the doors.

"I'll walk you home if you like," Michael says to Kristine.

"No, you don't need to, I'll walk with her we're neighbours anyway," Ashton interjects standing next to her.

"No it's fine, I can walk with you guys," Michael proceeds to say.

Ashton turns to see Kristine smiling.

The walk is awkward for Ashton, Michael stands between him and Kristine and walks almost the whole way with his back turned to him chatting nonstop. He's being a real dick about it as Ashton sees it, he understands trying to get a girls attention but he's straight up cutting Ashton off. He doesn't even get a goodbye when they get to his house.

That night, Ashton meets Kristine at her window.

"What's up Zelda?" he says excitedly, happy to have some time with her alone.

"Sorry, Fletch, I can't talk right now," she replies slinging a jacket on. "Mikey is waiting for me"

Ashton leans onto the window sill to see Michael at her front door.

"Alright, mate?" Michael calls up.

"Just peachy," Ashton replies.

"Sorry, bud, got to go," Kristine beams, practically glowing as she skips out the door.

Bud, the word repeats its self over and over again in Ashton's head. What a friendzone. It's obvious she likes him, Michael's a great guy and everything but Ashton can't help but find it unfair. As he sits alone in his room he scrolls down his facebook feed and then refreshes it to see Michael has posted 10 new photos, one of him, 4 of Kristine and 5 of the two of them. From what he can tell they're having fun, in some park somewhere and from the location it's somewhere about a mile from Michael's place, they must have walked for a while. They look like a couple and it fills Ashton with rage so he decides to lean out his window to to get some fresh air. All of a sudden the Aldrin garage slides open and out comes Cruz.

He looks up at the window, "Hello, Ash"

"Hi, Sir," Ashton replies with a sigh.

"Cruz!" he replies. "Needing some air, I thought Kristine was out with you and the guys?"

"No, just Michael," Ashton replies.

"Ah, hard luck, son, night," Cruz exits to the house.

Ashton's mind is taken off of Kristine and Michael for a second as he realises that's the second time Cruz has called him son. Ever since his dad left he guesses Cruz has been like a dad to him. Suddenly overwhelmed he closes his window and falls backwards onto his bed.