Prologue

I see her standing near her friends at poolside. I walk over with the bright purple flower in my hand and smile when I reach her. Her hair is down her back, her bikini is squeezing every curve and my face feels hot. She smiles at the flower and feels the petals with her fingers.

"It's so beautiful." She says not taking her eyes of the flower.

"Yeah, like you." I respond. *why did I say that* I point the flower in her direction and she looks up. I can feel her mother's stare burning through my skin. It hurts and I can't take the pain. I look to see if she is still staring at me and she is. I focus my eyes back on Demi.

"I'll put this in a vase. Talk to them so she won't get suspicious. " I nod nervously and look at Marissa.

"You'll be fine. I'm sure she doesn't suspect a thing. "

"I don't know what to do Rissy. Every time I look at Demi, it's like her mother pushes me back with her glares. "

"It'll be alright. Just enjoy the party okay? Relax. " I listen and sit on a chair near the pool. Demi comes out and sits in a chair. Marissa sits in between Demi and I. I look at the ground nervously and when I look up, I see her beautiful brown eyes. Her eyes took my breath away and I stand up.

"Demi, I think I should go."

"Go? Why? You just got here." She seemed disappointed.

"I just have to go. I'll call you later." I walk over to her mother and hug her.

"Bye Dianna. I'm heading out."

"Why honey the party just started?"

"I'm just not feeling to well. Thank you for having me over though. I really appreciate it."

"I've known you for so many years and you still act like I'm a stranger. Come back anytime okay?" I nod and walk pass the many people with cups and towels in their hands. As I walk I put my shorts on and throw on my tank top. I hear the sound of flip flops hitting the concrete sidewalk. I turn and see Demi and running towards me. She stops in front of me and catches her breath.

"Tell me why you left the party." She demands.

"I can't just sit there and act like nothing is happening. Demi... what I did was just stupid and I wish I could take it back. *No I don't, I want to cherish it for the rest of my life*

"Stop. You don't think I'm scared about this too? I'm terrified about what happened. I thought it would change our relationship. " She takes my hand and holds it tight.

"Let's just get it out of our minds okay? "

"Please." She hugs me and I get a scent of strawberry and chlorine.

"I need to clear my head. I'm just gonna go home and sleep."

"Can I come over tomorrow?"

"Yeah Dems. Just call me when you arrive."

Demi and I have been friends since forever. We grew up together and we had certain things that needed to be answered. When we were ten years old, we always played House. I was the husband and she was the wife. We cooked, cleaned and laid in the same bed at sleepovers. Then we decided to take our game to a whole new level. When we were 12, we began to kiss. We told each other that we would not tell our parents but one day we were careless; one day we were stupid. We were in bed, she was on top of me. She kissed my lips and I remember feeling happy.

"Did you like that?"

"Yes. Can you do it again?" But when I asked that, Dianna came in.

"What do you two *girls* think you're doing!?!?

"Nothing." We said in unison.

That day changed everything. We didn't know how we felt about each other. We were always going to be best friends and we were always going to be very close with each other but that day made me feel something I didn't know I could feel from someone other than my family; I felt loved. Dianna never told my mother which I was grateful for but she did seem to grow apart from me. She distanced Demi from myself and I felt like the whole situation was my fault.

Demi and I are still friends, we've just tried to focus on other things. I can't tell if she has ant feelings for me but I try not to care anymore. What's in the past is in the past. I was confused and going along with a game. The past shouldn't change my view about a person, should it?"

"Demi it's almost on!" I yell while taking my seat on the living room couch.

"Wait pause it!" She replies.

"I forgot which one's the pause button."

"The one with the two little sticks, Chelsea!" Demi laughs. I look for the button and click it. The picture freezes to a man laughing I'm a commercial and I smile at it.

"Demi you have to see this." I call. She enters the living room.

"What?" Then she laughs at the picture. "What the hell? Why would you pause it like that?" I can't answer because her cute/evil laughter fills my ears and makes me tear up. I'm holding my stomach trying to regain my composure.

"I didn't know it would...it would stop at that." I couldn't breathe. I loved how we could laugh for so long at the smallest things. She grabs our snacks and we begin out marathon of watching crime shows and depressing soap operas.