Chapter 3: Vis-a-Vis

Karmie

As soon as she and Grey set foot in the high-rise buidling ahead of them, they became head turners.

Being new, she completely understand the attention thrown her way however it suprised her that the employees eyed Grey Mithweald like a ghost.

No one greeted him nor even smiled at him. The indifferent treatment given to him is definitely something she least expected specially since he is the son of the owner.

'Feeling uncomfortable?' he asked casually. He walked inside the elevator with her tailing him behind. He pressed 29th floor.

'Do you?' she answered rhetorically. She didn't know why she felt a bit sad for him. However for her, no one deserves to be made feel like he/she didn't matter.

Out of the blue, his laugh erupted that had her furrowed her brows. She didn't know if she should feel better that he seemed to be trying to cheer her up or rather feel more down from she already is.

"If you want to be my publiscist, I suggest you prepare for the worse" he told her right after he had toned down. Before she could answer, they had reached 29th floor.

Once again he walked ahead of her. They passed-by the long winded lobby with nothing but sofas for guests. The myriad look she got from every employees they pass by had her more puzzled by the minute.

Grey stopped at the front of two big oak doors. He held the handles for a while before finally opening it.

Eight men in suits sat around a table. One arrogant looking guy, smirked evilly.

'Well, look who decided to show up!' he sarcastically beamed while Grey Mithweald pulled out a chair across him.

'Wouldn't want to miss the fun, Jerry' Grey sat comfortably on the chair.Just when she thought her presence was ignored, the guy spoke.

'Grey this is a conference meeting, no need to parade one of your girls' coughs were heard as half of the loot eyed Karmie up and down.

She put her hand on Grey's shoulder, smiling at him. He nodded in understanding.

'Can't keep it in your pants, can we?' she said sarcastically that had the man grin like a chescire cat that faded as she spoke her next words.

'What a horny guy' she said mockingly that had the room burst into laughter.

Being mad, he stood up but was halted as a new persona joined the room.

'Okay, gentlemen. Shall we begin this meeting?' an authoritative voice echoed. A man who looked like an older version of Grey entered the room.  Remembering the information packet given to her by Johnson, she recognized the man as Grey's father.

Everyone even the evil man nodded in agreement as if silently affording their respects to him.

Karmie took it as her cue to leave the room as Grey's father sat at the far end, by the center of the table. Afterall, she just came into the room to see who among the BODs is on Grey's side and those not. While she wasn't able to linger much, its enough for her to conclude the hostility of some of the  BODs' towards Grey.

~~~
At 5 pm

Karmie sat at one of the sofa's at the lounge. She leaned on her back exhaustedly. Everyone at the room left already, except Grey and his father. 

It took a while before a maddeningly angry Grey stormed out of the room. He went passed her and directly to the elevator.

'You must be Karmie' Grey's father stood with a faint smile.

'Hello sir' she extended her hand which he shook. It was their first time meeting each other and they met at a bad time.

'Thank you for accepting to look after my son. In the future, if there's anything please do not hesitate to call for help' he handed her a business card which she took.

'Goodluck' he said as he bidded her goodbye. Holding the card, she wondered what was the rift between Grey and his father about.

However, it is not her business to meddle on. She is nothing but a mere employee hired to a job, nothing more, nothing less.