Chapter 27

Ayano was currently standing on a podium with Tokoyami, arms crossed, eyes shut, and eyebrow twitching in annoyance.

Annoyance at Bakugou's muffled screams.

Strapped to a block, chained up, and forced to wear a muzzle like a dog. His current actions were far from exemplary and entirely unbecoming of a victor, much less a hero.

Ayano's attention soon turned towards All Might with a medal in his hand. After placing a third-place medal around Tokoyami's neck and congratulating him, he turned to her with another third-place medal.

"Congratulations, Young Sasaki! You fought valiantly and on equal footing as your peers in the hero course! It is most definitely an impressive feat in this world dominated by quirks!"

The girl bowed slightly, allowing him to slip the medal over her head. "Your compliments are much appreciated, although I have to disagree with you." "Eh?" All Might voiced his confusion, his hands stopping in mid-air after he let go of the medal.

"I would have to disagree that this was 'an impressive feat.' Taking time to say that I fought on 'equal footing' as my peers and noting the prevalence of quirks suggests that it was not expected of me to perform so well in this Sports Festival solely because of my lack of a quirk. This implies that people without quirks are inferior to those with, and I wholly disagree with that sentiment. Of course, the use of quirks certainly helps in this aspect but I believe that, more than anything, an individual's own skill and hard work leads to results. It is not due to a mere genetic mutation."

"I assure you that I do not think any less of you for saying such things, and I am certain that you had no such ill intentions or meanings when congratulating me. I just stated my feelings on the matter to ensure that you understand how your words can be interpreted. I would like to reiterate that I do, in fact, appreciate your compliments and congratulations. Thank you."

All Might, Midnight, and Tokoyami all looked at the girl with wide, apprehensive eyes. She showed no indication of acknowledging their uneasiness, as her face remained the same poker face that it usually was.

"...A-ah! O-Of course! That was absolutely not my intention! Having a quirk is one thing, but being able to hone that quirk is up to a person's own inner strength. That inner strength can be found in anybody, quirk or no quirk! You are correct!" All Might quickly retorted, hoping to placate the girl although she was in no need of placating. He still felt bad about his words even though she indicated that he shouldn't feel guilty.

"She's a strong one for sure." The number one hero thought to himself. He continued onto congratulating Todoroki and eventually Bakugou.

"ALL MIGHT! THIS WIN, IT DOESN'T MEAN SQUAT! DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!! IF I DON'T RECOGNIZE IT, THEN THAT MEDAL'S JUST GARBAGE!!!" All Might hesitantly approached Bakugou, the boy's ferocious face making him a bit nervous.

"There aren't many who can continuously be on top. So, accept this! As a wound, even! So you don't forget!" "I TOLD YOU I DON'T NEED THAT JUNK!! THIS WIN AND THAT MEDAL DON'T MEAN ANYTH—" His voice was abruptly stopped by a hard fist. Ayano had punched him square in the jaw, his head flying to the side and shock evident on his face.

Once again, Ayano had single-handedly silenced the entire stadium. "This win doesn't mean anything? Get over yourself. Do you understand just how much people would do to be in your position? I can see that you would feel that your last fight was not fair, but it was and you won. Did you half-ass things? No, you did not. Did you give it your all? Yes, you did. If anything, the fault lies with your opponent." Bakugou growled at her, fully intent on lashing out when she interrupted him.