Chapter Four: Peter

I SIGH HEAVILY again as my little brother storms upstairs to his room, slamming the door. Mom and Uncle Harrison also sighs and they both look down.
Mom fiddles with his wedding ring. I watch him. He gulps but doesn't say anything. I don't say anything nor does uncle Harrison. It's quiet. Too quiet. Uncle Harrison gets up to work on the dishes without saying a word. I pull out my phone and scroll through my social media and Mom just stares at his ring. We don't say a word.
A few hours have passed and Matt calls. I stand up, kissing my mother on the cheek, and walk to the other room. I close the guest room door gently and press the caller ID.
"Hey, babe!" Matt says.
I smile softly and sit on the edge of the bed.
"Hey Matt! Why're you calling? Not that I don't want you to call me but it's just out of curiosity," I say.
"I just wanted to check on my beautiful boyfriend. Everything okay with you and Wade?" Matt asks.
My smile turns to a frown. I stare at the closed door in front of me. I gulp. How to answer...
"Peter? Baby? You okay?" Matt asks, interrupting the silence.
I shake my head then nod. "Yeah...I'm fine...I just...don't want to talk about Wade anymore..."
"Oh...is everything okay between you two...?"
I shuddered. "It's just...Wade feels as if you're taking me away from him. He misses me. He hardly sees me. I just...want to be there for my little bro, Matt..."
Matt sighs heavily and says, "I understand, Peter. You need some time with your family I get that. But listen! We're going to see them later on tonight!"
I nod. "I know. It's just...Wade and I are inseparable..."
"I understand Peter. Welp. I have to go. I'm at work. I love you, baby."
I smile softly and say, "I love you too, Matt."
Matt "Muahs" me and I do it back. We hang up and I tuck my phone back into my pocket. It's nearly 5 now so I guess I should be heading home to get ready. Matt's gonna stay at work for a couple hours then meet me at the restaurant.
I slowly open the guest room door and walk downstairs. I freeze when I see Uncle Harrison kissing Mom firmly and pushing him gently on the couch, slowly taking Mom's shirt off, while kissing Mom. Mom does the same with Uncle Harrison's shirt. He takes it off.
My eyes widen and my jaw drops. I've never walked in on my parents before. Never.
My mind suddenly went to a dark place...
Come on, Peter! Quit being such a wimp! Maybe the way Mom does it can help you when you do it with Matt!
No...no don't go there Peter! Don't listen! Be a good little boy and don't listen!
Oh come on! Why do you always have to ruin everything?!
There were two me's on my shoulders. On one shoulder is an angel me and the other a devil me. I look back and forth between the two, debating who I should follow. I look back at my parents. They're still making out on the couch...and they're...loud.
Come on, Peter! You know you want to watch your mother! Come on! He's a beauty! There's no reason not to!
"But I'm too young..." I whisper to the devil me.
Oh come on! You big baby! You're eighteen! You're an adult! I'm tellin ya, kid! This...watching your mother would be beneficial to you when you and Matt do it!
I sigh heavily then the angle me protests.
No, no, Peter! Don't listen to him Peter! You don't want Mommy to be angry don't you? Then be a good little boy and just mind your own business!
I think about this. Mom would be angry. He'd be surprised more. Mom's been through a lot lately and so have I and Wade. Mom's lost his husband four years ago. Wade and I lost our father four years ago too. I don't know how many times I've said that. Not wanting my mother to be surprised or angry, I walk right past them.
Excellent choice, Peter! The angel me says, clapping his hands together.
The devil me scowls, his nose scrunches up and he disappears. I smile and open the door.
"Peter?" my Mom says suddenly, making me jump slightly.
"Ah! Mother! Don't scare me like that!" I whine.
Mom giggles and Uncle Harrison slowly pushes himself off of Mom. I'm guessing they're done with um...making out. Mom's sweaty and his breathing becomes short pants. He wraps Uncle Harrison's jacket around his shoulders and smiles softly at me.
"Where're you going, Pete?" Mom asks.
"I'm just heading home. I'm going to get ready for dinner tonight, Mom. That's all!"
"Alright, sweetheart," Mom says, putting on his shirt (not Uncle Harrison's), and walks towards the stairs. "I'm going to check on Wade. See you at 6?"
"See you at 6, Mama," I say, opening the door widely this time.
I step out and close the door gently behind me. I fiddle through my bag and pull out my keys to my Toyota. I unlock it. I open the door and hop in the driver seat. Turning on the ignition, I turn on the radio as well. I pull out my phone, letting Matt know that I'm on the way home and that we have to be at the resteraunt by six tonight, and plugging it into the charger.
I took a sip of my water from my water bottle and straighten my bangs. I check the mirrors and all that jazz. I look in the rear view mirror and smile when I see Mom and Uncle Harrison standing on the porch. They're both smiling. Uncle Harrison has his arm around Mom's shoulder and Mom's head is on Uncle Harrison's shoulder.
Smiling, I pull out of the driveway. I turn the wheel and pull up to the curb. I roll down the passager window.
"I'LL MEET YOU GUYS AT THE RESTERAUNT! SEE YOU GUYS AT SIX!" I shout.
"OKAY, BABY!" Mom shouts back, waving back at me. "I LOVE YOU!"
"I LOVE YOU TOO, MOM!" I shout, rolling up my window.
I pull into drive and press on the gas pedal. I turn left and out of my old neighborhood and onto the highway. But what I didn't know, was that my little brother...is gone.