One Step at a Time

Wearing the pink hoodie Xander bought for him, Sebastian patiently sat on a white wooden bench; he was absentmindedly kicking his slim legs back and forth as he watched a couple of birds fly above his head. The Octoling closed his coffee-colored eyes, letting himself soak in that beautiful sun he adored so much. Footsteps drawing near and eventually halting right next to him pulled the agent out of his basking. He opened an eye to peer up at his visitor; his lips curled up into a polite smile as he opened his other eye to fully look at the yellow-haired agent.

"Hiya, Xander! I'm so glad we can finally talk!" He stood up and hugged the Inkling, who hesitantly returned the embrace.

"Yeah, me too... I just wish we could have talked somewhere more... private." Xander said as he crinkled his nose and glared at their surroundings. Sebastian swatted the air towards the taller agent.

"Inkopolis City Park is totally private, especially this time of day! Everyone is out doing Turf Wars. Besides, this place is huge! It wouldn't matter if there were a lot of visitors today." The Octoling playfully nudged Xander and laughed. Hearing that sweet melody of a giggle brought a smile to the Inkling's lips as he relaxed his stiff composure.

"Ah, you're right. Sorry about that..." he paused for a moment to look around again, "... Um, hey, where is Augustus? You said over text that he knows now, so I figured he'd be here to keep an eye on me.." the Inkling nervously chuckled as he crossed his arms.

Sebastian simply nodded his head towards another bench a couple yards back. Xander turned his attention to it and found the taller Inkling casually lounging on it. Augustus lifted up a pale hand to wave at the other, a small smirk on his face. Feeling less anxious than before, the yellow-haired Inkling returned the wave by simply wiggling his fingers.

"Augustus knew that this conversation deserves some privacy," the Octoling quietly laughed as he paused, ".. but he didn't want to leave us completely alone cause... well... you know..."

"Right. He doesn't trust me because I kissed you..." Xander sounded like he was making a statement rather than a question.

"You're not upset by that, are you?" Sebastian inquired as he nervously wrung his hands.

The taller agent smiled down at the Octoling and shook his head. "No. I don't blame him! I mean, I kissed you. Honestly, he's being so calm about this. I'm surprised he hasn't beaten me into a pulp yet! I know I would have if I were him!" the two agents laughed together before the Inkling turned serious for a moment, "All joking aside, I'm really glad Augustus is so understanding and forgiving. Thanks for coming out to talk about, well, everything."

Smiling up at Xander, the Octoling nodded his head. "Of course, Xan! You're one of my closest friends. I couldn't let a friendship so special to me crumble away all because of a silly little kiss." he sat back down on the bench and quickly patted the spot next to him, "Come on. I feel like this talk is going to take a while, and I don't want my legs giving out on me."

Before taking the spot next to the Octoling, Xander looked back at Augustus, who was now tuning a guitar he failed to notice when he first arrived.

"Hm. I forgot that Augustus can play the guitar... Well, actually every stringed instrument."

"And the piano!" Sebastian chimed in, dreamily gazing at the green-haired Inkling.

The two agents then fell into an awkward, uncomfortable silence, for neither one really wanted to speak up first. Ever since Sebastian came to Inkopolis, his and Xander's relationship had always been easy going and carefree; they always got along every time they were together. Having their first conflict ever, both males were having a hard time dealing with it properly.