Chapter 3

The boy hadn't taken his eyes off the gap in the walls. He was fixated on it, studying it, while the girl, Sally, was fixing up a hammock for him. "It's basically the same story for all of us," she explained, throwing a cover over it, "We wake up in the Box, Slender gives us the tour... THen here we are. Don't worry. You're already doing better than I did. I crapped myself three times before they got me out of the pit."
Sally turned around to see that the boy was gone. She looked around to see him approaching the gap. She panicked and rushed after him. Her footsteps were soft and silent, so he didn't turn around. "What are you doing?" she asked when she got to him.
"I-I just want to see." he pushed past her.
"You can look around all you want," she told him, "But you better not go out there."
"Why not?" he asked, "What's through there?"
"I don't know," Sally said, "I just know what I'm told. And we're not supposed to leave."
Sally turned her head and smiled. The boy followed her stare and watched in astonishment as a woman and a dog entered the Glade. The dog had black fur, and a red coat of fur on it's face and belly. The thing that freaked the boy out so much was that it had human teeth and the kind of eyes that followed you wherever you went. The woman had pale peach skin, long, dark brown hair, and green eyes. She wore a white tank top, a greyish-green hoodie with cream fur lining the insides of the hood and jacket, black skinny jeans, and black hiking boots. Most noticeably, her right eye has been cut out and replaced with an Open Dial pocket watch. The corners of her mouth had been pierced and sewn into a smile. The girl looked at the boy with a confused expression. The dog, however, just said, "Hey, Sally. New Greenie, huh? How's it feel to be promoted?"
"Feels great, Smile." Sally called back to him.
The boy watched them for a while longer and watched the girl approach Toby, who gave her a hug and a peck on the lips. "I thought you said no one was allowed to leave." he said, looking back at Sally.
"I said WE'RE not allowed to leave," she explained, "They're different, they're runners. They know more about the maze than any of us."
"Wait what?" asked the boy.
"What?" asked Sally.
"What? You just said 'maze.'"
"I-I did?"
As Sally started to panic, the boy walked past her. He was in front of the entrance to the Glade. Or the exit to the maze. "Where are you going?" Sally ran up to him, tugging on his arm with a futile effort.
"I'm just gonna take a look." the boy began to peel her small arms off of him.
"I told you, you can't," Sally hung on for dear life, "No one leaves, especially not now. It's not safe."
The boy eventually got her off and, just as he was about to exit, he heard a "HEY!" and was shoved to the floor.
He looked up in a dizzy haze to see the same clown that had tossed him out of the Box. "We need to stop meeting like this, Greenie."
"GET OFF ME!" the boy yelled.
"Hey, calm, calm, calm!" the clown said.
The boy started to shout at the clown, causing people to rush over, like Slender and Toby. "Just relax!" the clown said.
"What the hell is wrong with you guys?" the boy asked the growing crowd.
"J-just calm d-down, alright-t-t." Toby said, twitching vigorously.
The boy could tell Toby was nervous. He, on the other hand, was scared. Scared and angry. He could feel the rage boiling up inside of him. "No, okay?" he said to Toby, "Why won't you tell me what's out there?"
"We're trying to protect you!" Slender said, "It's for your own good!"
"You guys can't keep me here!" the boy yelled back.
"I can't let you leave." Slender said, sternly.
"WHY NOT?" the boy screamed.
He was answered by a faint click. Everyone froze and looked at the gap. The boy turned around and they all heard a heavy thud. From within the walls of the maze, a strong gust of wind smacked the Gladers in the face. All were affected by it but the boy, who just stood there, frozen. Only three words came from his lips: "What the hell?"
He was dragged out of his wonder by a new sound: Gears turning. In awe, he watched as gears pushed the two edges of the gap together, blocking his exit. He then turned and saw that the other three gaps in the wall were now doing the same. They were sealed in, with no way out. "Next time..." the clown glared at the boy, "I'm gonna let you leave."
"Welcome to the Glade." Slender said to the boy as the crowd dispersed.