Chapter 30

Clockwork, Jeff and Toby led the group through the stone walls of the maze, all the way to Section 7. Left, right, right, left, right, left, left, right. Eventually, they made it back to the outer ring, which had miraculously turned back to normal. Arriving at Section 7 the group navigated its way through the blades, and arrived back at the circular shaped room, leading to the secret passage. Jeff signalled everyone to stop. He peeked round the opening of the room, and saw a fire demon, lying in wait. The others heard its growling, and were aware of the threat. "Is it a fire demon?" Sally asked.
"Yeah," Jeff nodded, crouching down next to her.
"You take this, Sally," Clockwork gave her the cylinder, "Stay behind us."
"It's okay," Jane placed a hand on her small shoulder, "Just stick with me."
"Okay, guys..." Jeff faced the whole group, "Once we're through, it'll activate and the door will open. We stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out... Or we die trying."
Everyone drew their weapons. "Alright," Jeff yelled, "LET'S GO!"
They all ran at the fire demon, yelling their war cries. It hissed at the oncoming crowd and rushed at them. Toby threw his hatchet into its face, which sent it stumbling back. Before it died, it sent a fire ball hurling towards Sally. She managed to dodge it, but dropped the cylinder in her efforts. "THE KEY!" she yelled as she ran for it.
"SALLY!" Jane yelled, "WATCH THE EDGE!"
Sally lunged for the key, and caught it before it, and she, disappeared down into the darkness of the fall. Just then, a flame began to rise, as Sally saw the outline of a skull getting closer to her. "Oh, great," she groaned, "BRILLIANT!"
Jane ran over to Sally and pulled her up, just in time, as the fire demon had ascended fully. In fact, more and more of them were coming for them. One of them incinerated two of the boys that joined Jeff, and another melted the third. Jane and Sally ran to the wall, and the key beeped and opened the secret passage. "It worked!" Sally cried triumphantly.
As the boys fended off the fire demons, Jane and Sally ran to the end of the passageway, and what looked like a monitor screen opened. It showed a code, consisting of the numbers 1 to 8. "JEFF!" Jane shouted back, "THERE'S A CODE! EIGHT NUMBERS!"
Jeff knew what it was, just not the sequence. "CLOCKWORK!" he called over to her, "WHAT'S THE SEQUENCE?"
"WHAT?" she called back.
"THE SECTIONS OF THE MAZE?" Jeff asked again, "WHAT IS IT?"
"UH..." she remembered, "7, 1, 5, 2, 6, 4--"
"HEA-HEADS UP!" Toby yelled.
A fire demon lunged forwards and landed on Clockwork. She tried to get it off her, but it wouldn't budge. Toby grabbed it by the spine, and flung it away. As Clockwork got up, Sally yelled, "CLOCKWORK, WHAT'S THE SEQUENCE? COME ON!"
"UH," Clockwork resumed, "6, 4, 8, 3! YOU GOT IT?"
The monitor then displayed the message, 'Passcode accepted.' Then the fire demons retreated, as the door to the passageway closed. Suddenly, the lights went out, leaving the Gladers in total darkness.