Chapter 6

"Jeff..." a voice woke him up.
Jeff was about to scream, but a black tentacle covered his mouth. Slender put his finger to his non-existent lips. When Jeff calmed down, he removed the tentacle and whispered, "Follow me. And try not to wake Sally."
Jeff followed Slender out of his hammock to one of the walls of the Glade, next to the sealed door. On the way there, Jeff noticed Slender was carrying a knife and a hammer. "it's peaceful, isn't it?" Slender asked, "I know it's hard to believe, but it wasn't always like this. There were dark days. Lost a lot of our own to fear. To panic. But we've come far since then. Established order... Made peace."
"Why are you telling me this?" Jeff asked.
"Because you're not like the others," Slender said, "You're curious. But you're one of us now. You need to know what that means."
Slender handed Jeff the knife and the hammer, then pointed to the wall. On it was carved the names of, presumably, every resident of the Glade. About 30 percent, Jeff took an estimated guess, had a line carved through them. "What happened to them?"
"Like I said," Slender looked at Jeff, but refused to face the wall, "Dark days, Jeff."
Jeff looked at the tools and dug the knife into a spot in the wall. When he began to make a dent, he grabbed the hammer and began to carve the letter 'j.' About 10 minutes had passed before he had written 'Jeff' on the wall. It lay in between Toby's name and Bloody Painter's name. He turned to Slender, who still refused to face the wall. "Come on," he started to lead Jeff away, "Let's get you a job."