Chapter 12

They both grunted as they dragged Slender around the changing maze. For a guy called Slender Man, he was really heavy. "Come on, just a little bit further." Jeff grunted.
"No," she grunted, tiredly, "Just sit him down. Sit him down."
They carefully let go of him and propped him upright against a wall. As they started to catch their breaths, Clockwork heard a droaning roar, coming from down the pathway they were going to go down. It bounced off the walls and rattled in her head. "This isn't going to work," she panted, starting to get up, "We need to leave."
"Wait, what are you talking about?" Jeff asked, "We gotta hide him."
"Where?" Clockwork asked, panic-stricken.
"I don't know," Jeff groaned, "Are you telling me there's not a single place we could take him!"
Clockwork groaned in frustration before pinning Jeff to the wall. If looks could kill, he would be dead ten times over. She had gripped his shoulders so hard he felt like they would pop out of their sockets. He watched as her eye-watch ticked slowly before she spat at him, "Listen to me, dumbass! Take a look around! There's nowhere to go!"
She let him go and he rubbed his aching arms. Another second and he thought she would've broken them. "You don't get it..." she began to chuckle a bit, "We're already dead!"
Jeff wasn't looking at her anymore. He was looking at the object on the wall behind her, the perfect disguise, the life-saver that could protect Slender: The ivy. Clockwork saw what he was looking at and all it took was one look at her for Jeff to know that they had the same crazy idea. It took a while for them to wrap the vines around Slender's body, Clockwork shuddered as the sun disappeared over the walls, knowing that the Fire Demons would be starting their rounds soon. Jeff grabbed a vine of the ivy and threw it in hopes it would catch onto a branch. The first time it missed and wrapped around his neck, but the second time it caught on to something. Jeff gave it a strong tug, and it didn't budge. He looked at Clockwork and nodded. She then wrapped the opposite end of the vine around Slender's waist. They both grabbed the free end and began to pull on it. Little by little, Slender rose. "Come on," Jeff grunted, "Just a little more."
Just then, Clockwork heard the maze walls moving. She looked round the corner and saw a section opening. Through it, she saw an unholy aberration. The creature she saw was like a floating skeleton, on fire. The horns that protruded from its head were that of what could best be described as a minotaur. Its eyes were weeping red fire, and it was looking right at her. "We gotta go!" she panicked, "RIGHT NOW!"
"No, no," Jeff said, confused, "Just a little more and we'll tie it off."
Clockwork peeked around the corner again and saw it approaching. She saw it's teeth form into a smile, but once she heard its roar, all bravery had left her. "I'm sorry, Greenie." she said before she ran as fast as she could.
"CLOCKWORK!" Jeff yelled after her.
When she released the vine, it sent Jeff swinging into the wall. He then heard the creature's growls, and saw the glow of its fire, signalling its arrival. He ducked down and used the cover of night, and the ivy, to hide from the oncoming monster. Jeff finally saw what a fire demon was. It never touched the floor, it always floated. Its legs were black, burning, decaying. It stayed dormant for a moment, its foot a few mere inches away from Jeff's nose. Eventually, it moved away, looking for the two intruders.