Chapter 25

Jeff and Clockwork reentered the Glade, only to be met with a crowd, LJ standing in front of it. "W-what the hell's go-going on out there?" Toby asked.
When Jeff and Clockwork walked past the crowd, LJ grabbed Jeff by his neck and demanded, "What the hell you done now, Jeff?"
"We found something," Jeff freed himself from LJ's grasp, "It may be a way out."
"S-seriously?" Toby asked.
"It's true," Clockwork supported Jeff, "We opened a door, something I'd never seen before. We think it's where the fire demons go during the day."
"Wait," Sally stopped them, "You're saying you found the fire demon's lair?"
"Their way in could be our way out, Sally." Jeff knelt down to cup her small cheek.
"Yeah, or there could be a couple million fire demons on the other side," LJ spoilt the moment, "The point is, JEFF DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DONE, AS USUAL!"
That was it. Jeff had had enough of LJ's constant pestering. He wanted him to just shut the hell up. "Well, at least I did something, LJ," Jeff got in his face, "And what have you done? ASIDE from hide behind these walls all the time?"
"Let me tell you something, Greenie," LJ grabbed Jeff's neck again, "You've been here THREE DAYS. I've been here THREE YEARS--"
"Yeah, you've been here three years, AND YOU'RE STILL HERE!" Jeff pushed him away, "What does that tell you? Maybe you should start doing things differently?"
"Maybe you'd like to be in charge? HOW ABOUT THAT?" LJ roared at him.
"Hey. HEY!" a voice called, capturing everyone's attention.
They all turned to see Jane. "It's Slender," she told them, "He's awake."
Jeff, Toby, Clockwork, Jane and LJ ran to the med wing. That's when they saw him. He was staring out into space, still as a statue. They heard a snivel come from him, and watched as a tear fell from his cheek. Jeff whispered to Jane, "Has he said anything?"
"No." was all she said.
Jeff sat next to Slender, who was still unresponsive. "Hey, Slender?" Jeff asked.
Nothing. Jeff wasn't giving up that easily. "Can you hear me?" he asked, "We might have just found a way out of the maze. We're getting out of here. All of us."
"... We can't," Slender whispered, "We can't leave. They won't let us."
"W-what are you talking about?" Jeff asked, feeling as if he knew the answer.
"... I remember." Slender said, a fraction louder.
"What do you remember?" Jeff asked.
Slender turned to face Jeff, and said, with more tears dropping down his cheeks, "You... You were always their favourite, Jeff. Always."
At that moment, everyone turned their heads to the door, as shouting sounds of panic and distress were heard. "Why did you do this?" Slender asked, starting to cry, "Why did you come here?"
As the shouting continued, the Gladers in the med wing thought it would be best to go outside and see what the matter was.