Chapter 11

The rain had stopped. Everyone was gathered by the door that Clockwork and Slender had left through. The sun was about to disappear over the walls, signalling the end of the day, and the closing of the doors. Everyone was getting anxious. Nobody was more anxious than Jeff. "Come on, guys," he turned to Toby, "Can't we send somebody after them?"
"That's against the rules," LJ said, the sentence slightly paining him to say, "Either they make it back or they don't."
"We-we can't risk losing anyone e-else." Toby said.
Suddenly, the gears started to turn again, and the door started to close. "No..." Sally panicked.
Everyone was concerned now. They would be stranded. Suddenly, at the far side of the corridor, Jeff spotted something. "There!" he pointed out.
A shape trudged from behind the bend. As it came into the light, they all saw it was Clockwork. "Wait," Toby saw, "S-something's wrong!"
Everyone then also saw that she was carrying and unconscious Slender on her back. She dropped him and began to drag him as fast as she could, which wasn't that fast. "COME ON, CLOCKWORK!" Sally yelled, "YOU CAN DO IT!"
Everyone started to cheer her on, but it wouldn't speed her up. "CLOCKWORK!" LJ yelled, "YOU GOTTA LEAVE HIM!"
"Th-they're n-not gonna make i-it." Toby gasped.
Jeff's entire world slowed down. He had to do something, he couldn't let them die. He looked back at Toby, who figured out what he was going to do. "No," he said, "N-no, don't--"
But it was too late. Jeff had a shot and he took it. He pushed past the people in his way and dashed into the maze. "JEFF!" Sally called after him, "NO!"
She could not change his mind. Nobody could. The walls were almost pressed together, he had to be fast. He managed to worm his way through the tight gap before falling to the floor. He turned to see the doors closed behind him. He then watched as Clockwork dropped Slender's limp body and leaned against the wall, breathing heavily. "Good job..." she wheezed, "You just killed yourself..."
"W-what?" Jeff asked.
Jeff approached Slender and asked, "What happened to him?"
"What does it look like?" she asked, annoyed, "He got infected."
"What happened to his head?" Jeff referred to the giant bump on his head, surrounded by blood.
"I did what I had to." was all Clockwork said. 
After a long moment of silence, the two were interrupted by a distant roar. The same one from the first night. The same one that followed the flash of light Jeff saw in the Box. Clockwork rose and walked away. "No, stop," Jeff said, "Help-help me get him up."
"No time, we need to go," Clockwork was about to turn a corner, "The maze is already changing."
"Hey, CLOCKWORK!" she froze and turned back, "We can't just leave him here."
She stared at Jeff, then her eye went to Slender's still-limp body. She crouched down next to it and felt his pulse. "What the hell are we gonna do?" she asked.