Chapter 33

The Gladers gathered around the door, all of them unsure of what to do now. They had done it. They had escaped the maze. They were free. Or... Were they? "Is it over?" Sally asked, cluthcing onto Jeff.
"Sh-she said we were im-important," Toby said, "What are we supposed to do-to do now?"
"I'll tell you what we're gonna do," Jeff said, taking the first step towards the door, "We're gonna get out of here."
"No." a voice from the side said.
Everyone turned to see LJ, looking like he was about to cry. "LJ?" Jeff asked.
LJ dropped another one of the cylinders from the fire demon's heart. He was also holding a gun in his right hand. "No," Jane stopped Jeff approaching him, "He's infected."
"We can't leave." LJ said.
"We did," Jeff protested, "LJ, we're out. We're free."
"Free?" LJ asked, "You think we're free out there? No, there's no escape from this place."
He aimed the gun, directly at Jeff's heart. "LJ, listen to me," Jeff triend to reason with him, Clockwork clutching her knife behind her back, "You're not thinking straight. You're sick, we can help you... Just put down the gun."
"I belong to the maze," he cocked the gun and prepared to fire, "We all do."
As he fired, everything happened so fast. Clockwork threw her knife into his neck, and everyone watched as he started to gargle on the blood stuck in his mouth and drop to the floor. He tried to crawl over to them, but eventually stopped. "J... Jeff..." he heard Sally wheeze next to him.
Jeff turned his head and saw Sally, falling to the floor. He caught her, and saw a developing red patch growing from under her dress. She had taken a bullet to save his life. "No, no, Sally," Jeff started to cry, "Oh, shit. Shit. Look at me, look at me!"
"It... It's okay..." she could barely get out the words.
She then held out the tiny wooden carving and tried to put it in his hands, but Jeff said, "No, Sally. You're gonna give it to them yourself. Remember, I told you that--"
"Take it..." she wheezed, her strength fading, "Please..."
Jeff opened his fist, and Sally dropped the carving into it. "Thank you..." she wheezed the last ounce of life she had, "Thank you..."
"No, Sally, you're gonna get--" it took Jeff a moment to realise that the one person that he felt closest to, out of everyone there, was now a corpse.
"Sally?" he whispered, tears now pouring from his eyes, "Sally? Hey? Hey, Sally! Come on! Come on, wake up! DAMN IT! We made it, come on! I... I'm sorry! GOD DAMN IT!"
Jane turned to the sound of footsteps coming into the room.