Chapter 32

"Hello," a figure said on the recording.
The figure was what could be best described as a jet-skinned knight in silver armor surrounded by a corona of black lightning. It's voice echoed when it spoke, and it sent a chill through all who looked upon it. "My name is Lord Zalgo. I am the master of the organisation known as the Order," the creature continued, "If you are watching this, that means that you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but certain... Circumstances, shall we say, seem to have prevented it. I am sure by now that you must all feel very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you, that everything that has happened to you... Everything we have done to you... It was all done for a reason. You will not remember, but the Sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire, famine... Suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came next was far worse than anyone had, or ever could, anticipate. We called it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain," the message then cut to a CT scan of the virus working in the brain.
It looked like it was eating away at it, like a maggot would with an apple. "It can be described best in three words," Zalgo continued, "Violent, unpredictable, incurable... Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged. A swarm of unnatural killers who could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand what makes them different... What makes you different."
The video cut back to Zalgo, and the Gladers could see that armoured men with guns were shooting at the scientists running around the lab. "You may not realise it," Zalgo continued, seeming to be fully aware of the chaos erupting behind him, "But you are very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As no doubt you will soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us... For me... But not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember..." he produced a gun and aimed it directly at his head, "The Order Knows!"
Jeff couldn't watch as he pulled the trigger. Everyone cringed in discomfort as they heard the gunshot go off. As Jeff turned his head to look away, he saw what looked like a figure, similar to Zalgo on the message, with a gun in its hand. Suddenly, the door to the outside world opened. As if on queue.