CHAPTER 9

JENNIE

As the minutes passed by, I began to get comfortable with Lisa. We talked about how Jisoo and I became friends. Honestly, at first, I thought she was rude because she had a poker face earlier but now that I finally know her a little, I realized that she's not actually a bad person. 

And I think I am liking her even mor—
Jisoos Christ, what am I saying? But I really like her personality though. She's jolly too but not as jolly as Jisoo. Well, the right term for Jisoo unnie is hyper—nah, I'm just kidding.

From our conversation, I found out that Lisa is just a year younger than me and that she's from Thailand. I swear I was surprised because I thought she wasn't a foreigner. I mean she kind of look like a Korean as well. Also, I was wondering why she chose to be in Korea when she can just go to schools in their country.

Fortunately, she explained that she went here because she wanted to learn to be independent. Well, that's brave. To be honest, to be independent like this wasn't my choice but Lisa, she made the decision which kind of make me admire her for her courage. She's just fifteen after all, just a year younger than me. It's just amazing how she could be enjoying her life in her home country under her parents' care and guidance yet she's here trying to learn how to stand on her own feet. She really is interesting.

One more thing, she also told me that she was my classmate during our first year but I probably didn't notice her since I was always busy in my own world. I can't believe I didn't know her or at least recognize her. I mean just look at her, probably one of the prettiest girls in this school yet I failed to appreciate her existence when we were in the same class. What is wrong with me?

"Are you sure really sure that you were my classmate before?" I asked again because I still couldn't believe. She chuckled and said, "Yeah, I am a hundred percent sure. You don't pay attention to people around you so you probably didn't acknowledge my existence. Besides, I used to wear glasses so I think you really wouldn't recognize me.

"It's odd," I mumbled under my breath which made her look at me.

"What's odd?" She asked. Damn, I didn't think she would hear it. I shook my head before saying, "Nothing."

"Jennie, can you be m—" Lisa was trying to say something, however, I saw Jisoo struggling to carry out foods.

"I'll help her," I said before going to Jisoo. Lisa sighed and followed behind me. Then we both helped Jisoo bring our foods to the table.

When we were all settled, I suddenly realized that Lisa was trying to say something earlier. So, I asked, "What were you saying earlier?"

She smiled and said, "Nevermind, it wasn't important anyway." Really? Now, I'm curious but I won't ask anymore. I don't want to look like a weirdo or something.

"It's nice that you already get along well," Jisoo said which made us look at her.

"Come on unnie, let's eat. We're all gonna be late," Lisa said and started to eat. Jisoo then devoured her beloved chicken and I also started to eat. Just like Lisa, I also don't want to be late because it would mean that I'd get more attention and I don't like that.

While eating, Jisoo was talking about what happened when she was in the queue. She said that she almost had a fight because someone was trying to get on the line. We just laughed at her, not because of what she have been through but because of the way she talks about it. She even demonstrate it.

Afternoon classes proceeded and we had to go separate ways since we are from different classes. I bid goodbyes to the both of them. I hope they'd want to hang out with me again because today, I actually had fun. I guess I have two friends now. Oh wait, is Lisa my friend now? Or I'm getting ahead of myself.

When the class started, I was still thinking of her, Lisa. Honestly, I wasn't expecting her to be so nice to me because she looked like a very serious person during the rooftop incident. I'm glad I got to know her and I kind of hope I get to know her even better. Should I ask her to be my friend? Oh gosh, I can't help but to think about her smile. Why does she have to be so pretty anyway? She's making my heart beat faster again. I held my chest.

Wait a damn minute, what's happening to me? I have never felt this way before. Lord, help me.

"Miss Jennie, are you okay?" Miss Bae asked which made me flinch.

"Ah, yes Miss Bae, I'm fine. No need to worry," I answered. Miss Bae patted my shoulder and said, "Tell me if you're not feeling well and I'll let you go to the clinic." I just nodded and she continued her discussion.

"What's wrong, Jen?" My classmate asked. Actually, I don't even know her name.

"Nothing, don't mind me. Let's just listen to Miss Bae," I said and smiled at her.