4

I let out a sigh as I set on my bed and read a book.

"Alana come down stairs it's almost time for your sweet sixteen party!" My mother yelled.

I let out a sigh as I walked down stairs and into the kitchen.

"Why are we having a party? The only ones coming is Arthur and his father." I said softly.

"I invited some of your classmates." She said softly.

"They won't come.... they hate me." I said softly.

"And why would you think that?" She asked as she iced the cake.

"Because I'm a freak.... mom I talk to fish. I can breath underwater." I said softly.

"Just because you can hold your breath for a long time doesn't mean you can breath under water." She said softly.

"I stayed under water a whole day without coming up for air.... I wouldn't be alive if I couldn't breath underwater." I said softly.

She let out a sigh and turned to look at me.

"Listen.... I know it is hard, but stop worrying. Everything will be fine." She said as she sent me a smile.

I soon heard a knock on the door and she pointed to it. I walked to the door and smiled as I opened it to see Arthur and his father.

"Hey small fry." Arthur said with a smile.

"Hey fish breath. It's good to see you again Mr. Curry." I said softly.

"Please call me Thomas." He said softly.

I sent him a smile and then I let them into my house. I set the table and I smiled as mom put the food on the table and then we set down to eat.

"Told you it would just be us." I said with a smirk.

I heard the door bell ring and groaned as mom sent me a smile and stood up.

"Hello Jane. Sorry we are late, Rachel had to pick up her gift for Alana." A woman said.

"Come on in Amy. It's good to see you Rachel." My mother said softly.

I internally groaned when my school bully walked into my house and set the gift down.

"Sit down." Her mother said.

"Alright so who wants to say grace?" My mother asked.

I pointed to Arthur and he pointed at me.

"Arthur would love to." Thomas said with a smirk.

He grumbled under his breath and I laughed as I bowed my head. After he was done we started eating. When it was over Rachel turned to look at me.

"So how do you and Alana know each other?" Rachel asked Arthur.

"Well my father is great friends with her mother and when they have to go to work she stays at my place. She is kind of like my baby sister." Arthur said with a smirk.

"Fish bait."

"Onion ring."

"Sewer Rat."

"Fishy." He said with a smirk.

"Fishy? That's the best you got?" I asked with a laugh.

We laughed and I smiled as I stood up and helped mom with dishes. Soon it was time for the cake and I handed everyone a piece.

"So what did you wish for?" Arthur asked with a smile.

"For you to get a life." I said playfully.

"Ouch! My heart." He said shocked.

I laughed as I took a bite of my cake and turned to see Rachel looking at her food.

"So why didn't your husband come?" My mother asked.

"He had work." Amy said softly.

"I see, it must be very stressful around this time of the year." Mom said softly.

"It is.... he has to stay away from Rachel and me... and he misses a lot."

I saw Rachel stand up and walk out of the room.

"Hey mom can I be excused?" I asked softly.

She nodded her head and I stood up and followed after her. I spotted her on a rock and I walked up to her.

"I like to come out here to think to." I said as I set beside her.

"What do you want freak?" She asked annoyed.

"To make sure you are okay.... you ran out in a hurry." I said softly.

"She is lying....he isn't working... he is with his other family... he left." She said through tears.

"I'm sorry.... you don't deserve that." I said softly.

"Why are you being nice to me? I bully you about your father all the time.... why not do it back?"

"Because what would it help. I would hurt you and I'm not evil." I said softly.

"Why?"

"Because my mom raised me to treat people like I want to be treated." I said with a smile.

She sent me a smile back and whipped her eyes. After awhile she left and I smiled as I brought my knees to my chest. Soon Arthur came out and handed me a box.

"What is this?" I asked confused.

"Your gift. Open it up." He said softly.

"I told you not to get me anything." I said softly.

"I know, but when have I ever listened to you?" He asked playfully.

I opened it up to see a necklace. It had a blue stone in the center and a golden chain. It had carvings on it that I couldn't read, it had a shark carved into the back of the stone. He picked it up and slipped put it around my neck.

"Wow! I can't... this had to cost you an arm and a leg." I said a so looked at it shocked.

"Didn't cost me anything. I found it on one of my adventures.... made me think of you." He said softly.

"Thank you.... I love it." I said as I hugged him.

After he left I looked down at it and smiled as I held it close to my heart. I looked back in the box and saw a note.

Dear Alana,

I hope you have a great birthday, I wish I could be there, but I can't.

Love, a friend.

When I asked Arthur about the note he pretended to know nothing about it. I ended up keeping the note in my journal and spent many days trying to figure out who it was from.