Chapter 17: She Was Wrong. She Was So, So Wrong.

Who knew what to expect when Jughead Jones would walk through the restricted doors once again. He himself didn't know, either. His stomach fluttered when she caught his eye.

But, little did he know, the girl next door had been awake long before he had reached her.

When Betty's eyes finally fluttered opened, she felt alive. She had realized at that point, at that second, that she was truly alive. No tears were shed despite her revelation. Everything had changed. Maybe it was because of everything that happened, maybe it wasn't. Who knew? She certainly didn't. And she certainly didn't care. A supernova of realization that nothing mattered but the moments she was living right now washed over her body, followed by goosebumps. Betty was okay.

She was okay. And that's all that mattered.

"Hey," she whispered so softly she even wasn't sure Jughead could hear.

"Hey," he smiled. She was wrong, he did hear her.

Jughead paced over to her. She looked up from her bed, noticing his hesitation before he embraced her.

Betty noticed Veronica and Archie standing in the doorway, but failed to acknowledge them.

She gladly melted into Jughead like she hadn't touched another human in years. That's what it felt like, at least.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled into her shoulder.

"Me too," she whispered back, "It's okay."

Jughead's body shook hers as he wept into her. She had no more tears to cry, if so she probably would have cried with him.

"It's okay," she whispered again, rubbing his back. Her calming voice made him weep even harder, reminding him of how much he missed hearing it.

"Well," she continued, looking past Jughead. "Bring it in."

Veronica smiled and cried happy tears as she ran over to Betty. Archie followed.

They all sat there for another hour, crying. Except Betty.

Jughead groaned, "I'm going to kill Penny. And everyone else's involved with her."

"No," Betty commanded in a low voice, "You won't. Stop."

"You're right," Jughead reassured her, "You're right."

She was wrong. She was so, so wrong. Jughead had made up his mind long before this moment. He had to do this one, last thing. He had to finish her for good this time.

He promised himself this would be the last time he would hide something from Betty.

It has to be done. Penny has to die.