Chapter 1

A/N

Hello and welcome to "Memories," an Emerald x Male Reader AU built around the idea of the Multiverse theory. If you've read one of my other stories, nice to see you again. If not, nice to meet you.

It's gonna be rather different from most things you read on here, but it might be interesting. Even though I have a general outline of the story, it's gonna be harder to write.

With the idea of past lives and memories of them, things might not make sense, especially at the beginning. If there are any questions, feel free to ask. I'll probably miss some simple logic things, but hopefully, you guys can look over them.

I have no idea what year RWBY is set in so I'm gonna say this story is set in the year 921. I'm gonna introduce the suffixes "AF" and "BF", each standing for "After Fall" and "Before Fall", referring to the fall of Beacon (kinda like CE, BCE). I'm making the Fall of Beacon a significant enough point in time to make it a transition in time. I'm also gonna refer to things that aren't canon in the RWBY timeline since this is the future in a way and it's also an AU.

There's gonna be a few references to parallel universes, which I will differentiate them through the suffix "AF*" or "BF*", where * is a number. This main timeline will be 1.

Also, my writing style will change. I won't be using the script-like dialogues since I just wanna try something different. It also kinda seems a little more formal I guess.

If none of this makes sense, I'm sorry.

I know I said I wanted to cut down on the amount I write in A/Ns but I think the first chapter requires a longer one to kinda set some things down.

_____

902 AF1 - Third Person POV

"C'mon (y/n)! Let's get going!" (y/n)'s father held his son's small hand as they walked down a narrow forest path. "This is the last stop for today! We're almost done!" While his father asked if he wanted to sit on his shoulders, (y/n) insisted on walking by his father's side instead. Though since he was so busy taking in the scenery, the pace of the two dropped significantly. But, (y/n)'s father didn't mind since spending time with his son was more important, especially when he knows they'll grow up way too fast.

(y/n) continued to walk at a snail's pace, eyes darting from tree to tree until a ray of the falling sun shone into the corner of his eye. He turned towards the source and was taken back by the wide landscape that was a beach.

The setting sun made the sand glow a lazy gold and the light bounced off the calm waters. Along the water's edge were families starting to pack up their belongings, not wanting to stay around until the temperature dropped and light dissipated.

Again, his eyes started to scan his surroundings. A family with a single son rolling up their towels. A father collapsing a small portable barbeque as his wife and children take their belongings to the car.

Going from family to family, his eyes finally locked onto one. He didn't understand why he chose them to stop on, but a sense of familiarity rose from the family of three.

"Wanna dip your toes in?" A voice rang from behind him, but he didn't care to turn around. A father, mother, and daughter. Details were hazy as the setting sun distorted his vision. The only detail that caught his attention was a head of green hair. It was a strange sensation, but he had a feeling they knew each other. More than that, actually; that they were friends.

"Emerald..." His voice was quiet. He didn't know what compelled him to say that, but his voice spoke without a thought. While he watched the family walk off in the distance, a light hum rung in his head. A soft pain started to grow in his head as his father took his hand.