Chapter 17

924 AF3.406288δ - Third Person POV

(y/n) felt a jolt of excitement rush through his veins at Emerald's words, but before he could celebrate in elation, the doctor added.

"Just stay out of trouble until then. Don't do anything stupid."

(y/n) raised a brow. "Why does everyone keep telling me to behave? Did someone stick a sign on my back that was the word 'trouble' in red, bold text?" He playfully spun in a circle, trying to check his back for such a sign. 

Emerald gently shook her head. "I'm serious, (y/n). They're gonna be watching you closer now. The last thing they want to do is make the wrong decision. They don't want it to go south the moment you leave the hospital."

(y/n) nodded, trying to prevent himself from exploding in excitement. "I'll be on my best behaviour. I promise."

A small, genuine smile appears on the doctor's face. "Good. We've got a lot of catching up to do."

(y/n) let out a content chuckle. Emerald's choice of words was apt. 'Catch up' seemed like the correct term. Their souls already knew each other. They just had to make up for lost time.

(y/n) grinned and stretched out on the bed, trying to expel the giddy feeling building up in his body. He was ready to get out. He was ready to 'catch up' with Emerald.

_____

Emerald's POV

I watched fondly as (y/n) stretched out his body before noticing the book that sat by his side. The Conspiracy of Queens. One of my favourite books and the exact same one (y/n) was looking at when I first met him in the office. I smiled at the sight of it, knowing (y/n) bought a copy. It was subtly touching that something as small as a book would catch (y/n)'s attention

I studied the hardcover book and noticed a loose piece of paper sticking out from the thick novel. I thought I saw (y/n) quickly stuff something out of sight when I first entered the room, but I waved it off and turned my attention to (y/n). If it had been anyone else with a piece of paper sandwiched in a book, I might have ignored it, but given our unique circumstances, I knew I could confront (y/n) on anything and come out better for it.

"What are you hiding there?"

(y/n) raised an eyebrow and followed my line of sight to the book at his side. "It's... nothing."

It didn't take a psychiatrist to see through such a blatant lie. (y/n) probably knew he was caught from the start.

He let out a tense sigh and pulled out the piece of paper from the book. "I thought you would've forgotten your mother's face." (y/n) stares at the paper before handing it to me.

_____

Third Person POV

Emerald nervously ran a hand through her hair as she took the paper from (y/n)'s hand. She steeled herself, knowing what was drawn on there before she released her eyes from (y/n)'s. She swallowed the lump that formed in her throat before hesitantly glancing down at the picture in her hand. Her breath hitched in her throat at the sight of her family. Slightly older than she'd ever known them to reach, but still all too familiar.

It had been years since Emerald had even dared to open one of her old photo albums. The pain always seemed to latch onto her with an unrelenting force, with regret following closely after. The only time she ever saw a photo of her parents was when she caught a glance at a photo that was buried deep in the back of her bedside table. After that day, she moved the bedside table to the other side of the bed, just so she wouldn't interact with the table as a whole.