Chapter 13

924 AF1.1 - Third Person POV

Emerald stirred lightly, her eyebrows coming together as she let out a soft groan. A headache split her head in two as she slowly opened her eyes. The soft touch on her cheek shifted her focus to the source.

"Hey... Don't scare me like that..."

"(y/n)?" Emerald asked, her voice a little raspy with sleep. She furrowed her eyebrows as her vision started to focus. She let out a soft groan, cringing in pain slightly as she slowly sat up. Emerald glanced around the room to gather her surroundings. They were still in her quiet office, the sun starting to set, golden rays falling through the blinds. She wasn't sure about how much time had passed, but with the sun's position, she might've slept for a while. "What happened?"

(y/n) chuckled a little. "You don't remember?"

Emerald rubbed at her temples. "Oh... I remember plenty." Images of past lives flashed across her mind in small fragments. She avoided focusing on one for too long so she doesn't get pulled out of reality once again. It was definitely a strange feeling. She discovered a wealth of hazy knowledge after experiencing the flood of memories. Small things like (y/n)'s shoe size or the mannerisms he'd grow into as he gets older or the smell of her mother's favourite perfume... A memory hung at the edge of her mind as her stomach tightened.

"Mom..." Emerald cringed as a memory of her late mother threatened to take over her reality, wanting to force her to relive the things they couldn't experience together in this life. Instead, she grabbed (y/n)'s hand and squeezed it tight. A part of her wanted to give in and let the memory take over, but she couldn't let go like she did not too long ago. She could still feel where the tears dried on her cheeks. Emerald closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths as she focused on the feeling of (y/n)'s hand under hers. "Does this... ever go away?"

(y/n) frowned as he watched Emerald struggle with her mind. "I... I don't know... I don't think I've ever had the memories at the same intensity you are."

"It's alright, Em." (y/n) winced a little as Emerald's grip on his hand got tighter. He knew her more than anyone else. He knew she doesn't want any reminders of those she's lost. She'd rather forget and move forward. It was how she coped. The issue now is that she has to confront these lifetimes of memories since they aren't going to leave her anytime soon. There was no running this time. "It might feel like a curse now... and honestly, it isn't all pretty... Some can be pretty bad, but sometimes... they'll pull you through tough times..."

"This is my favourite perfume, you know that? So much so that I named you after it. 'Emerald Breeze'... Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?" The voice of her late mother pulled at her resolve as she tried to stay in the moment. Emerald let out a sigh and focused on (y/n)'s hand. She levelled out her breathing and blocked out the memories to take a moment. It was a technique she had taught her patients to calm themselves down. Learning to focus on their immediate surroundings and their own body can help fight off imminent panic attacks. It took a while but the little voice of her mother in the back of her head slowly faded away, leaving Emerald with the silent of her office. She let out a shaky breath and recollected herself.

"(y/n)?"

"Hm?" His hand gently ran through Emerald's mint hair, wishing he could do more to help the woman.

"I have a bottle of Advil in the top drawer of my desk. Could yo-"

"Of course." (y/n) gave Emerald's hand one final squeeze before getting up and making his way to the wooden desk.

Emerald sat up and rested her elbows against her knees as she rubbed her temples. She listened to (y/n) rummage through her desk drawers in search of the bottle as a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "And to think you were just a stranger a few days ago..."