I.

y/n's pov

Happy birthday to you,

happy birthday to you,

happy birthday dear y/n,

happy birthday to you.

I blow out the candle alone but happily for the first time in two years. Two years since my mother left, 730 days since I felt truly happy. I look around the house while trying to feel something different from sadness. Too many memories come to my mind, including my abusive father, my first boyfriend and a few parties. It feels unreal I will leave them all behind to start from zero and it makes me incredibly happy and anxious at the same time. For some reason, I feel attached to this house: its ugly paintings hanging on the wall remind me of my happy childhood and the smell of pancakes can be smelled all over the place. I look at my last picture with my mom as my phone vibrates in my pocket. I look at the screen and smile: Sian.

-"Are you ready?"- Sian says as I sigh.

-"I am."

-"I am so proud of you, y/n. I'll pick you up at 6pm. Text me when you arrive at the airport."

I nod to myself and answer with a simple ok. I start to pack my things knowing what I am doing. I am leaving all of this, a fresh start. A new era.

I close my suitcase and my eyes. My legs start to shake as I leave my house. I wish I could call this a home, but I never felt comfortable enough to do it. I never found my home. I never found love. Never found myself. Too many questions round my head and I suddenly feel insecure about all of this. I mean, I've been planning this day since I am sixteen, but I always had hope that my situation would get better. I always thought my dad would apologise and we would live happily. It never happened so here I am, running away from all my fears like a coward. I call a taxi and I sit down on the bench where I used to play as a child.

I enter the taxi and I look outside the window, admiring my beautiful but small town from it while Something Human by Muse is being played on the radio. I lip sync as I start to feel anxious. The driver stops the car by the airport and that is when I know I made it. I moved on. I did it. Tears start to roll down my eyes while I walk through the aiport corridor.

Wait, where am I going?

I realise I don't know where the boarding gate is as I try to find a solution.

-"Excuse me?"- I approach someone and I tap his shoulder shyly.

He turns around with a small smile and nods.

-"Yeah uhm, I don't know where my gate is. Could you help me?"- I say looking down at my boarding pass, too shy to look at the stranger in the face.

-"Sure, let me see." His strong accent surprises me and I smile to myself while he looks down to see the paper.

-"Oh. It is right there. I'm actually going to Seoul, too." He says while pointing the gate.

I look at the stranger for the first time and my eyes widen: he is beautiful. The curly boy offers me a small smile, looking at me. The smile then disappears as he gets close to my face.

-"Uh miss, are you ok?" He looks at me with a worried expression and I frown. He seems to realise my confussion because he then adds : "You are crying." His voice interrupts my thoughts and I sigh while wiping my tears away.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to meddle."- He says softly and I shake my head.

"It's ok, I'm ok. Thank you"I give him a small smile and I place my backpack again.