Chapter 27

Lily was still at the Guild Hall when Gajeel and Levy arrived three hours later. No one noticed them come through the doors. All was at it should have been. Nothing was out of place. Mira was at the bar with Lucy planning their wedding while Wendy was scolding Romeo for something that he did. Their cute teenage romance was almost too adorable to handle. Romeo's dad kept giving him glances and tried to whisper what to tell Wendy to calm her down, but she soon turned on Macao. The two strolled over to a table in the back corner of the room next to the stair leading towards the hospital wing. This particular table had become their table. Cana was drinking out of a barrel on top of a table in the middle of the room shouting at her father for not going on a mission. Ever since he learned who his daughter was he had been more reluctant to go out on dangerous missions. It was Lily that noticed Gajeel and Levy sitting and watching the events unfold.

The exceed cat went to the parents and settled Scarlett down in Gajeel's open arms. Juvia was distraught that Scarlett had been given back to her parents, it was apparent that she was not done loving on the baby. Levy tickled the little baby toes and Scarlett giggled at the touch of her mother. Baby Scarlett no longer cried all the time she had started to understand what happened even at her young age. A member from the Magic Council came through the open doors headed right towards Makarov. Who was dozing on the bar top as his usual. The Council member tapped him on the shoulder and handed him a letter. Makarov read it and all the blood in his face ran away. His skin was clearly sweating. "Are you sure about this?" he asked in a shaky voice. "I wish it was not true but it is, good day," the Council Member turned on his heel and walked right out the way he came not making eye contact with any of the other Fairy Tail members.

Makarov stood up and cleared his throat, "children," he began handing the letter off to Mira who read it. Mira's eyes grew wide in horror. Something on that simple piece of paper had two of the strongest members of Fairy Tail white as a sheet. Mira passed the letter back to him. "There is no easy way to say this so I am just going to read to you what this says 'Fairy Tail, the Magic Council is requesting the assistance of your members to aid us in our time of great need. The town of Magnolia is under attack by a dark guild that are calling themselves Nighthood. They have already burned one town to the ground and are making their way here. It will not be long before they are at our door. We are in dire need of all top S-Class Mages in every Guild to come forward. Elfman Strauss, Mirajane Strauss, Laxus Dreyar, Juvia Lockser, Erza Scarlet, Gray Fullbuster, Natsu Dragneel, Lucy Heartfilia," mummers went around the room "Mystogan and" Makarov's face fell to the ground as he let the letter drift to the floor. "Gajeel Redfox, are all to report to the Magic Council by the end of the week."

Levy was barely able to catch Scarlett as Gajeel heard his named called. Did he really just say my name, this can't be right. The Iron Dragon stared at his wife with a plea for help. No one in the room knew anything about this new Dark Guild or where they came from. Makarov plopped back down on the bar and put his head in his hands. Seconds went by with no sounds. Who ever said that silence was peaceful had never had a major bomb dropped on them like those in Fairy Tail had. It was the quietest the Guild had ever been. "What the hell Pops!" it was Natsu who shouted first. Soon it became a thunder of shouts and demands for explanations. Mira silenced them as she did her Soul Take over. She only did this in battle and it was clear that they were about to go to battle. No it was a war. A war that would determine not only the fate of Fairy Tail but the fate of everyone in the town. There was still small rumbles of confusion as she spoke, "it's not just Fairy Tail that has been asked to do this. It is every non dark guild in the town. It seems as if they are only pulling from those who participated in the Grand Magic games. From what I can tell not only was it a friendly competition but it was a try out for their army. Those of you that have been called please get your things together we will leave tomorrow night. If we get their first we might have a chance to talk them out of this." Those whose names were called started to gather around Makarov and Mira to try to get some kind of answer for this. Gajeel was the only one who didn't move from his seat. Scarlett started to cry softly at her dad, her little dragon slayer scenes were very acute for how young she was.

Gajeel looked at his family but did not see them he looked through them trying to gather his thoughts at what his next mission was to be. He had to leave his family to fight in a war that was not his and did not sign up for. His greatest fear was starting to become his reality and there was not a single thing he could do to slow it down.