Seven

Katherine
Katherine sat on the bench outside the school, waiting for jack. Every day after school he would walk her home. She twirled her foot in the snow that had just fallen earlier that day. Suddenly, Katherine felt something hit her in the side of the head. She giggled and wiped the snow out of her hair, gathering snow to throw at her attacker. Jack tried to run away, but Katherine hit him right in the back of the head.

"Oh you are gonna regret that!" he said. Next thing Katherine knew they were in a full fledged snowball fight. A little childish, perhaps, but Katherine didn't care.

Katherine was in the process of making another snowball when Jack tackled her, causing her to fall completely into the snow. Her heart sped up at the feeling of his arms wrapped around her. She only managed to wrestle free after she flung a pile of snow at his face. He got up and they finally started walking home.

Jack
Since Katherine's father was at work, they went inside when they got to her house to warm up. They were curled up by the fireplace, sharing a blanket.

"I totally won."

"Did not."

"Did so."

Jack smiled. He wished he could stay curled up next to Katherine forever. The smell of her hair filled his nose. The snow in her hair had melted, forming little droplets of water that sparkled by the firelight, only making her more beautiful. "Did not."

"Then why is there still snow in your hair?" She asked, playfully running her hand through his hair and causing snowflakes to fall to the ground, quickly melting. His heart sped up at the feeling of her hand touching his head. Jack gazed into her eyes. Suddenly he forgot all logic and acted on pure instinct. He placed a hand on the side of her face and pushed his lips up against hers. He felt sparks fly between them, a tingling sensation spreading throughout his lips. He was surprised when she kissed him back instead of pulling away. He ran his hands through her hair, enjoying every second of the kiss before they both had to come up for air. When Jack looked at her his heart soared. In that moment the rest of the world disappeared. Jack had never had feelings this strong before. Which made what happened next all the more painful.

"J-Jack you should go." His heart sank.

"What?" He tried to conceal the hurt in his eyes.

"I said you should go." How could you be this stupid jack. She doesn't like you and now you've ruined your friendship. Why would you possibly think she would like you?

Katherine
"You did what!?" Katherine was hanging out with a few of her girl friends. (She doesn't talk to Darcy and Bill about this type of thing).

"It was one meaningless kiss. I didn't even initiate it." Katherine sighed. But I didn't stop it either. As much as Katherine hated to admit it, she enjoyed the kiss.

"Kath, remember your promise," Sarah cut in. "This was probably his plan all along."

"I know, I know. I told him to leave right away." Katherine tried to shut out the memory of the hurt look in his eyes. It was just an act.

"Are you really just gonna shut him out of your life?" Hannah asked.

"Do I have much of a choice? I promised myself that I was too smart to fall for his tricks. I'm sticking to that promise."

"Good. You're too good for him anyway."

Katherine shrugged, lost in thought. That kiss meant nothing to him so you can't let it mean anything to you.

Jack
Jack didn't like to keep secrets from his friends, but he knew he'd receive nothing but teasing if he told him what happened. The only ones he told were Davey and Crutchie, who he considered to be his best friends.

"She just told you ta leave? Why would she do that?" Crutchie asked after hearing Jack's story.

"Probably finally realized she's too good for me." It hurt Davey and Crutchie to see their friend like this. "I definitely screwed it up this time. Now I've even ruined our friendship."

"You could try apologizing."

"Nah I don't think I can fix this." Jack sighed. "I should've never spoke to her in the first place.

• • •

Don't respond: Katherine I am so sorry.

Don't respond: I completely understand if you hate me now but I need to apologize.

Don't respond: please Ace, try to forgive me. Not right away but at some point because I don't think I can live without your friendship. Please just respond.

Read 7:47 pm

//internal screaming//
//external screaming//