Chapter Twenty-Two: Beads of Sapphire

*Agnes' POV*

I let out a deep breath before nodding to Niall, giving him the go-ahead to open the door and let the doctor in. He smiles softly at me then pulls it open, allowing him to come in.

"Hi, Mrs. Horan." He grins at me, coming to the end of my bed while Niall sits on it with me and grabs my hand. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't know." I focus on the shapes I draw on the back of Niall's hand, unable to bring myself to look at the man. "I'm tired."

"That's to be expected, you've had quite the long day." Dr. Brown states the obvious. "We would like to keep you overnight, but you can go home in the morning. Do you guys have any questions for me?"

"Is there anything that can be done?" I can practically hear the frown in Niall's voice as he speaks. "I mean- is there any way that we can increase the chances of making it to full-term?"

"Well, most women with GTD have a miscarriage." Dr. Brown tells us, pulling up one of the rolling stools to sit on. "It is unlikely to have a viable pregnancy from it."

"So, there is no way that we can help them?" Niall asks.

"I didn't say that." His words cause my head to snap up. "I've been in contact with a team of doctors in Germany who have been trying to take the tumors out."

"How is that possible?" I furrow my eyebrows together in confusion.

"At this point in time, there have only been three successes." He explains.

I gulp. "What about the others?"

"Most of the fetuses do not survive." Dr. Brown answers. "They have had multiple cases of the mother dying on the table. One was because the patient lied to the doctors about her medical history and she ended up having an allergic reaction that spiralled out of control. The others died of a complication that they have yet to figure out the cause for."

"But there's a chance that this will save the babies?" I inquire.

"If you tell the truth and the complication does not arise, then yes, there is a very small chance." Dr. Brown nods.

"Say that we wanted to go to Germany to have the tumor taken out. What do we need to do to qualify?" Niall questions.

"I have already spoken to the lead surgeon and she is willing to help you as long as you are aware of the risks and you are at least 20 weeks along." He replies.

"That's only seven weeks! I can make it that long!" I exclaim.

"Agnes, let's just hold on a second." Niall gives my hand a squeeze.

"What is there to hold on about? If there is a chance that this will save our babies, then I want to take that chance!" I respond.

"I'll leave you two to talk it over." Dr. Brown announces whilst getting to his feet. "If you have any questions, feel free to have a nurse page me and if you decide that you would like to have the procedure done, let them know and I'll inform the team." The minute he's out the door, Niall lets out a long sigh.

"What?" I ask.

"It isn't worth the risk of losing you." Niall shakes his head.

I am taken aback by this. "Niall, these are our children we're talking about!"

"I know! But if the chances are so high of them dying already, I don't want you to be gone, too." He states.

"I can't lose them, Ni. I can't." The tears rising in my throat are thickening my voice. "We have to try."