Chapter 2: Who Needs Love?

"Not uh!" The red headed girl squealed as she placed her hands onto her mouth.

"I'm serious, Malon! You've just got to believe me!"

The young ranch girl placed her hands on Zelda's shoulders and shook her gently. "You met a Prince! Oh my Din!"

Zelda cringed slightly as a light blush appeared on her fair skinned cheeks. "Be quiet Mal! You're embarrassing me!"

"But Zellie, this is a big deal! Royalty never talks to the likes of us, let alone even look our way!"

The blonde headed girl bit her lip in thought as she pondered Malon's statement. She really was right. "What are you trying to say? He liked me!?" Zelda said shyly as she snuck a peek at Malon.

She was grinning from ear to ear as she spoke, "He must have saw something in you!"

She shook her head in disbelief, "He almost ran me over with his horse, I think that was a good enough reason to stop."

Malon rolled her eyes, "Zelda.. Zelda.. Zelda.."

"Oh stop.." Zelda shot back as she rolled her eyes as well. They both giggled as they came to the end of their conversation.

"It's still pretty unbelievable.." The ranch girl added as they walked out of Zelda's small home.

The sun shined with brutal heat onto the pairs head as they made their way to the orchard. Silence overwhelmed them as they trudged on.

"You ever want to just leave our village and see the world?" Malon blurted out causing Zelda to stop.

"I can't say that I've really thought about it too much." She shrugged her shoulders as they continued walking.

Malon let out a heavy sigh as they entered the orchard and began picking ripe apples. "Well, I just really want to get married and start a family someday.. And I don't see that happening here.. I'm sure you want that too, don't you?" Her friend said sadly, not making eye contact with Zelda.

"Not really." She said bluntly.

The young woman never cared too much for men because of the example her father made. Zelda had never told Malon the real story of what happened to her parents. She didn't want Malon to feel sorry for her.

The truth was that her mothers life ended in tragedy after her father had beat her to death after having too much to drink. He then took his own life once he was sober.

Zelda sighed as she thought of her parents and then stared at Malon, "Mal, if this is you saying you're leaving.. I'm not going to stop you."

Malon gave her a sad look once more and spoke softly, "But I really wanted you to come with me.."

"I belong here, as a social outcast and hidden from the horrors of the world. It's how I want to live." Zelda gave her a reassuring smile as they continued searching for apples.

The red headed girls frown finally turned into a small smile, "Then I guess that settles it! I'm leaving the village!" Malon squealed slightly and ran over to Zelda, embracing her in a long hug. "Oh Zelda! thank you for helping me decide! I'll miss you so much."

Zelda's eyes slowly became glossy as she held back her tears. She forced a smile at her friend, "I'll miss you too Mal."

Once night had arrived Zelda laid down onto her creaky bed. Her eyes averted from the ceiling and over to the window to admire the stars. The thought of Malon leaving consumed her mind as she tried to relax. She was really all she had here. No one else paid any attention to her.

A sad sigh escaped her lips as she thought about the complete loneliness she would soon feel. She began to reminisce about all the exciting and fun memories they had. Malon's first kiss, their first time encountering a beehive which didn't end well, and the time when Malon fell into a cow pie. The thoughts made her heart feel heavy with sadness but she knew she had to be strong for her friend. Tears slowly stained her cheeks as she continued to stare at the stars.

"Oh Malon.. I'm really going to miss you."