Chapter 7: The Truth

"Prince Link.." Zelda said sternly.

"Please Zelda, call me Link."

"Fine, Link.." She said. "What is a Prince doing living in the woods? Especially with no protection!"

She watched as his eyes widened slightly. "I.. Well.." Link scratched the back of his head nervously. "You see, my parents don't really care too much about what I do.."

She scowled at him as he finished speaking. He was lying, she was certain of it. The young woman crossed her arms irritably. She couldn't understand this man whatsoever.

"Don't lie to me." She said bluntly.

The Prince swallowed loudly and stared at her for a moment. He sighed and rubbed his eyes in frustration. Then he gave her a defeated looked.

"I ran away, Zelda.." His tone was full of sadness.

"You what!?" She blurted out. "You can't just do that!"

"Please, let me speak.."

Zelda quickly closed her mouth before making another remark. His facial expression was now full of seriousness. She didn't like this new look.

"My parents and I don't see eye to eye.." He sighed and forced a smile in her direction. "Being a Prince isn't what I want!"

Her eyes widened. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Being royalty means you're spoiled with all the riches of the world. Your belly never cries out in hunger. You're loved by everyone. Who wouldn't want that?

Link reached toward her and grabbed her hand to uncross her arms. He held it as he spoke. "It's ridiculous all the praise we get. We sit on our ass and do nothing!" The Prince gripped her hand somewhat tightly after his statement. "We get everything handed to us. I want to work for my things! I envy what you had in the village Zelda.."

Zelda shook her head angrily, "That village was full of nothing but loneliness! No one ever bothered to help me or even glance my way besides my one friend who's long gone now. Nothing ever changes and you starve half of the time. You probably noticed that when you got a nice view of my rib cage." She ripped her hand from his and gasped lightly from the pain due to her outburst.

"I'm sorry Zelda.." He whispered as he looked to the floor.

Link placed a hand on her shoulder, "Please be more careful though, you're severely injured.."

Tears stung her eyes. She didn't want to be here anymore. She just wanted to find Malon and then never leave her side. Link didn't understand her whatsoever.

"I guess what I meant was.. I just wanted freedom.." He looked at her with soft eyes.

Zelda glanced in his direction and frowned. "Link.. Your parents are counting on you to take your rightful place as King someday. You can't let them down because you're a coward.."

"I am not a coward!" He burst out angrily. "They were going to force me to wed, Zelda, and I refuse to marry I woman I don't love!" His fists clenched as he spoke. "I'm not some puppet who just lives life how my parents want me to."

Zelda opened her mouth to speak but no words would come. She couldn't imagine being forced to marry a stranger.

"Zelda you have to understand that I can't go back. So promise me you'll keep my secret." He grabbed her hand once more.

"I-I promise.."

He smiled at her and gently kissed her hand. "Thank you so much.." His smile then faded into a frown. "But you just have to know one thing... I'm never safe now.."