Chapter 8: The Man With The Evil Eyes

"Ganondorf?" She said quietly. "What a horrendous name!" The young woman giggled at herself.

Link smiled and chuckled lightly as Epona trotted through the woods. Zelda felt his grip tighten on her. To her, he seemed as if he were angry. She looked behind her and up at his face. His jawline was tensed as he stared straight forward.

"What's wrong Link?" She questioned.

He loosened his grip slightly and sighed. "Ganondorf isn't a force to be reckoned with. His title is Captain of the Hyrule Knights so his job is to basically protect the Royal Family. Currently he has one job, and that's to bring me home." She felt him tense up once more. "But I refuse to give him that satisfaction. He has more intentions than protecting me, i just know it. I don't trust him whatsoever, never have never will."

Zelda liked hearing the Prince talk. The fact that she was with him seemed like a dream so his voice always made her come back to reality. Even though they were still basically strangers to each other, he made her happy. The feelings she felt were basically unexplainable.

"So, that's who was chasing you when you almost ran me over?" She giggled.

"That's correct." He smiled sweetly at her.

"But why don't you trust him? He's just doing his job." She argued.

"No.. It's something more Zelda. I mean, why the hell would they shoot arrows at us!?"

Zelda opened her mouth to argue but was stopped by that question. He was right. Shooting someone is in no way at all protecting, even if it just wounds them so you can catch them. She was sure the King and Queen wouldn't stand for them hurting their son.

"I think.." He trailed off in thought for a moment, "I think.. He wants to kill me. There's no other explanation."

Zelda's eyes widened. If anything happened to Link she would be devastated. Just the thought of it sent shivers throughout her entire being. Then a thought came to her.

"Link.. What if he thinks they'll make him heir to the throne if you're gone?" She blurted out.

The Prince stopped Epona. His gaze was set in the distance and his mouth was opened slightly in shock. His grip on the reins tightened as he sat in silence.

"Holy shit.." He whispered. "Zelda, I think you're right."

He ran a hand through his blonde locks. A deep sigh escaped his lips and he squeezed his eyes shut.

"So what are you going to do?" Zelda asked timidly.

"We're going to have to fight back."

"What!?" She barked in shock. "Why can't you just return to your castle!?"

"Zelda! I thought you were on my side!" He said sternly, causing her to cringe slightly. His eyes softened slightly at her reaction. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

"N-no. It's okay." She said shakily as tears welled up in her eyes.

"Listen, I can't go back. That's not the life I want. I've told you that I refuse to marry a woman I don't love. " He said sweetly. "You know what it's like to want love, don't you?"

"No! I don't!" She shouted as the tears spilled from her eyes.

His eyes widened as he quickly embraced her. "Z-Zelda! Please don't cry.. I'm sorry!"

"Just keep the damn horse moving." She said angrily as she shook from sobs.

The Princes face saddened as he cracked the reins causing Epona to jolt forward. Zelda felt bad for making him feel this way, but she couldn't help it. Talking about love doesn't end well when it involves her. Link rubbed his free hand on her leg in an attempt to calm her down. Surprisingly it worked. The warmth of his hand on her leg sent prickles down her neck.

"I'm sorry for freaking out.." She said sadly.

"I'm sorry for whatever I said that upset you." He nuzzled the back of her head causing her to blush.

Once he finally stopped the horse, Zelda looked up to see a small run down shack. Link dismounted the horse and held his hand out to help her down. As she grabbed his hand a smile took over her face.

"Well this is home." He said as Zelda jumped down with his help.

She gasped quietly as the impact sent pain through her ribs. The young woman looked up quickly, relieved he didn't hear. Then her eyes averted toward the shack, if you could even call it that.

It had a small hole in it's roof which allowed a decent amount of snow inside. The wood seemed as if it'd been years and years since it had been treated. The windows it bore were cracked and filled with holes. Then the last thing she noticed was it's size, it's was small. It had two small rooms that needed much work.

"Don't look at it like that." He said as she realized he was staring at her. She blushed lightly. "This is how the one we were at before basically looked. I'll have it fixed in no time.

Zelda smiled and nodded, "I believe you!"

He grinned back, causing her to melt on the inside. "Can you start getting some of the snow out while I go look for some supplies.

"Of course!"

"Great! I'll be right back." He winked and then hopped on Epona and rode away.

Once he left Zelda's hand immediately went to her right side by her ribs. No matter what, she continued to feel pain there. Panic began to consume her as she pulled the cloak aside, revealing her side. She then revealed her wounds and gasped loudly. It was infected, badly infected. Her hands began to shake as she covered herself back up.

'What am I going to do?' She thought as the pain grew worse.

"A-ah!" She yelped as she fell to the ground in overwhelming pain.

She needed medicine, and soon. Zelda knew a fatal infection when she saw one and that's certainly what she had. The young woman began to worry as she realized Link may be a while. She gripped her wound tightly as it continued to throb, bringing tears to her eyes. Her breathing deepened as she lay there. Then everything began to look fuzzy to her.

'This isn't good..' She thought.

Nausea began to take over her as everything started to spin. Then she blacked out and her hand gripping her wound fell to the snow. Hours passed before Link returned. It was almost turning dusk.

"Z-Zelda!" He cried as he leapt off Epona.

Link shook her in an attempt to wake her but it was no use. He looked her over for injuries but found nothing. Then his eyes widened. She had seemed so normal it made him forget she was injured.

"Please.. No.." He whispered as he began to pull the cloak aside.

His hand covered his mouth as he saw the infection the overtook her side. It was bad, and he knew it. Without thinking, Link picked her up and hoisted her onto Epona. The Prince hopped on behind her and cradled her in his free arm. He then snapped the reins and Epona dashed forward. Once he came across the road he remained on it until he had to make a decision.

He came across a road that had two ways and stopped. Right to her village of Eldin, and left to Castle Town. Link knew she'd need extreme medical care that her village couldn't provide, but he didn't want to return to his Castle. His grip on the reins tightened as he reluctantly steered Epona towards Castle Town. He was returning to the place he hated for her. Why? Well, because he loved her.

His eyes filled with tears as he looked down at her pale face.

"Hang in there Zelda.."