Chapter Sixteen

"When morning comes, see what we've become."

HE FOLLOWS

I followed her, watching where she ended up for the night; a small run down hotel. I wasn't stalking her, just keeping an eye on her.

Because she was the one that was going to bring my target to me.

She walked in the building, chatting with the man at the front desk before heading upstairs:

A few hours had passed when I was about to start my car, pulling away from the curb when my stomach tied in knots.

I sat in my car quietly, watching as a few black cars drive by before circling around a few times.

I tapped my fingers along the steering wheel, watching as one of the black cars stopped in front of a tall building across the street from the hotel.

My blood was boiling as I watched more men run inside quickly, letting the doors slam shut behind them when the black car took off speeding around the corner.

I grabbed my gun from the passenger seat, placing it in my waistband before getting out of the car. I head towards the hotel, pulling open the door, meeting a man lied back in his chair.

His eyes were bobbed shut, his breathing heavy. He was passed out cold.

I walked past him, heading upstairs slowly when I hear a few bangs coming from a room down the hall.

I kept my aim steady, trying to go undetected.

Two gun shots rung through the building, causing me to run towards her room. The door was locked; I grumbled out before kicking it in fast.

My eyes landing on her, her eyes wide with fear. Her face bruised, I could see the pain on her face as I walked in closer, remaining silent so I didn't scare her off.

When I seen a ref light flicker in the window.

Running forward, I wrapped my arms around her before tackling her to the floor when bullets started flying, piercing through the thin walls of the hotel, breaking the window she was just standing at.

I could feel her body shake underneath mine but I never moved, shielding her from the bullets.

Ace wanted me to keep her alive so that's what I was going, besides I needed her if I was going to kill the Clyde family.

I popped up a bit, peaking around the room to see if there were men coming, or if more bullets would start flying when it all went silent.

My eyebrows furrowed forward and I grunted, glancing back at the detective when her eyes grew wide, "Sniper!" She snapped out, throwing herself at me when a bullet flies in through the window.

She cried out, when I land on his back, she lied there on top of me, her entire body shaking, blood seeping out from the bullet wounding her shoulder.

Stupid girl, should've just let them shoot me.

"Stay still." I whisper softly.

I moved around under her, reaching for my gun before sighing out, closing my eyes momentarily.

I needed to come up with a game plan to get us out of here, both preferably alive.

"We have to get to the roof, there's a ladder on the side of the building, we'll get out through there." I mumbled, not meeting her eyes.