Polarized Roads

As the sun rose in the early morning sky, colouring the clouds with splashes of orange and yellow, its rays reached the Three Seals motel that sat comfortably just next to the shore, you could almost hear the morning waves lightly crashing against the sparkling sand.

A blue haired girl stood on the balcony, watching out at the scenery, a cigarette in hand. She took a drag before letting it hang loosely, draping it over the balcony as she leaned on the iron railings.

Suddenly distracted, she quickly turned around when she heard the door to the balcony slowly open, a doe-eyed and brown haired girl smiled upon sight of her before joining her as they watched the sunrise together.

"You're up early," her soft voice sounded, still thick with tiredness.

"Well... I guess I couldn't sleep," she responded, chucking her cigarette off of the balcony as it fell onto the road just below.

The brown haired girl watched over at the sunrise, leaning over the balcony. "Yeah, me neither..." She sighed.

"I can't believe that you did this... for me. Max, it's just us now. Forever. I'm never leaving you. Just... shit," she failed to continue, her head falling into her hands.

Max shuddered in the morning breeze, her right hand on Chloe's left shoulder. "We were always meant to be together, I was given the power to save you, Chloe. Don't ever think otherwise," she touched on the thoughts that rattled deep with in her best friend, knowing her all too well.

"I don't know what we're gonna do now," Chloe started, raising her head and focusing back on the sunrise.

They looked at one another, unsure what to say after the events that still haunted them three years later. Both of them struggling with their choices, both of them speechless.

"We're gonna be together, forever. Time can't tear us apart, not again," Max replied, walking back into their room and coming back out shortly after, presenting her camera.

"As long as we share this moment," she started, holding it up and facing it towards the two of them with the sunrise just behind them. "We'll always have a shot at this life together," she clicked in a button, the two forcing bright smiles as the flash went and the picture printed out, Max took it and shook it, placing it in her camera bag within their room.

They stood, watching the sun a while longer as it got higher and higher in the bright blue sky, it was almost as if the storm hadn't destroyed their home town, as if everything were at peace once again.

"What's that nerdy photographer word for the times at sunrise and sunset?" Chloe asked, quickly changing the topic.

Max responded nearly straight away. "The Golden Hour," letting out a slight laugh as she responded, having been asked the same question from the same person once before.

As the morning grew late, the two got ready to head off, the motel was only a short stop on their journey south.

Max emerged from the bathroom, wearing her crimson red shirt that displayed the outline of an animal skull on the front, skinny blue jeans and a grey unzipped jacket.

Chloe was wearing her black leather jacket, a white tank top that, too had a skull on and her skinny black jeans and boots.

"Let's jet, I don't suppose they do bed and breakfast here," Chloe said, jumping up from her bed at the sight of Max as the two walked down the metal steps together from the second floor of the motel and into the car park below.

Very few cars dotted the lot, one rusted off-yellow truck stood out to them, as they ventured over to it and jumped into the front seats.

"I'm so damn tired after last night," Max uttered, taking her camera bag off and placing it gently down below her feet.