California Girls

"Last stop," Chloe announced wearily, her voice thick with sleepiness.

"Damn... That six-hour drive just about killed my back," Max moaned slightly, getting out of the car and closing the car door shut before stretching out.

Chloe chuckled. "I know, I know. But it was totally worth it, Cali is gonna be so epic," she grinned, looking around. "Ah, the golden coast," she smelled the salty air around her.

"Yeah, it's crazy to finally be here," Max smiled which then turned into a yawn.

The edges of Chloe's mouth tilted upwards as she watched Max in her sleepy state. "Well, I think it's about time that we settle down for the night," she declared, grabbing Max's hand and pulling her along while locking the car over their heads with her other hand.

"God, I can't wait to sleep in an actual bed..." Max exclaimed, looking around at the coastline.

Their surroundings were quite astonishing, a large, mountainous range stretched into the sky, covered in tall, redwood trees. Behind them was a luscious coast of sparkling golden sand and a deep, dark blue ocean full of twinkling reflections, like small diamonds with unattainable beauty.

Max suddenly let go of Chloe's hand and turned around to see the midnight coast. "Photo op?" Chloe recognised Max's need for photography by the strength she used to suddenly go into 'pro-Max mode' as she would often call it.

"Totally. This is such a sweet shot," she explained, clicking in the button as the photo printed before her.

Chloe grinned. "You always know when to take the best pictures," she admitted.

"Yeah, well, we'll just have to see how it turns out," she said, unsure.

"Don't even second guess yourself. If I had your skills, my confidence levels would be through the fucking roof!" Chloe reassured her, grinning.

Max felt a slight blush coming on. "Like your confidence levels need to be any higher. I should take a page outta your book-"

"No, you should keep being you. It's adorable that you don't know how talented you are."

She scratched her neck slightly. "Thanks, Chloe. You're the most supportive friend I could have ever asked for," she said as they hugged under the deep moonlight of night.

"Now, let's go get a room!" Chloe let out, suddenly excited.

The two entered the twenty-four-seven motel service and wandered over to the front desk where a man sat lazily.

"Can I help you?" the man asked, looking up from his book. His eyes were tired and he was wearing a pair of spectacles that sat on his pointed nose.

Max looked over at Chloe who sprung to life. "Yeah, we're looking for a room for two," she said, looking on at the receptionist intently.

"Hmm..." he lifted his gaze from the final words on the page that were clearly more important than their conversation as he began typing away on the computer. "Oh, it does seem that we are all out of rooms, I'm afraid," he admitted emotionlessly, his voice lacking any sympathy.

"What? No way, can't we just like, kick someone out?" Chloe requested.

"Chloe..." Max sighed, but she wasn't surprised at her response to not getting her own way.

The man looked unimpressed as ever. "Terribly sorry, but that isn't an option, for obvious reasons," his voice had a hint of sarcasm in it which nearly set Chloe off.

"Come on, we'll just find another place," Max suggested, pulling Chloe away from the situation.

"Did you hear him?" Chloe whispered angrily. "Terribly sorry," she mimicked his voice. "Fuck that guy, I was just kidding," she threw her hands up effortlessly.