Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

            I walk into the hotel room, coming back from a very lovely dinner in the café next door. Laura went with me, but decided to go sight seeing before coming back to the room. I sigh as I go through my drawers and pick out a pair of pajamas. I go into the bathroom and change quickly, not wanting to miss the Doctor Who episode about to air. This will be the first time I will ever watch Doctor Who in the country in which it originated: Great Britain. London, to be exact.

            I walk out of the bathroom and sit on my bed. I look at the clock on the wall. 7:52. The episode will start in eight minutes. Where is Laura?

“Juliette.” I hear a voice say behind me. I turn around and see David. How did he get in here? I was in Laura’s and I’s hotel room, and I’m pretty sure I locked the door.

            “Oh. H-Hi David.” I stutter nervously.

            “What are you doing here?”

            “I have a confession. I like you. A lot. In fact, I think I might be in love with you. Will you be mine?” As David says this, he steps towards me, and I step back. This continues until my back hits the wall and David can reach me.

            “Oh, David, that’s really sweet of you,” I say slowly, “but I’m afraid I can’t return your feelings.” I brace myself as I finish my sentence. David is only inches away from me now, and seems extremely hurt and angry. He looks straight into my eyes and whispers quietly.

            “Why not?” There is, of course, a thousand reasons why. I only met David two weeks ago. And frankly, I wouldn’t even consider him a friend. Just a friendly stranger. And then, he went from friendly stranger to creepy stranger really fast. He would text and call me like 30 times every day. And I don’t even know how he got my number. I never gave it to him.

 I swallow down the lump in my throat and respond.

            “I’m too young to fall in love. I’m only 12. And I mean, I just met you a couple of weeks ago. We’re taking this too fast. Maybe if I was a little older, we could make it work. But, I’m not. I’m sorry.”

            “Laura’s making you say these things, isn’t she?” David asks.

            “Yes, that’s it. The connection we have is so real, so strong, you must feel it. Laura’s just jealous. She’s jealous that you found love before she did, so she wants to break us apart.” David slowly gains more and more confidence in what he’s saying as he continues.

            “I mean, you’re not that young. And I’m only 16. That’s only a four year difference. Laura is just keeping us apart. I always knew she couldn’t be trusted…”

            “No, that’s not it.” I interject.

            “Laura would never do that. She’s my best friend.” Just then, Laura walks through the door.

            “Hey, Juliette, did you know that this hotel has a pool tha-“

            “You.” David growls.

            “Oh, uh, hi David.” Laura says, clearly uncomfortable.

            “Juliette, you never told me he was coming over.”