Chapter 34

Nate was as pleased with the decorations as Hermione hoped.

He went to London to celebrate the holiday with his family. The next day he brought endless tubs of food to share. Hermione eagerly tucked in to each dish. The potion she bought in Chinatown was working wonderfully. Her mind was still foggy, as she hadn't taken her anti-depressants in case the two potions reacted to each other, but at least she wasn't hungry anymore.

No sooner had Chinese New Year finished, Nate started redecorating for Valentine's Day. Hermione smiled as he liberally hung streamers across every surface. She gently refused to have pink fairy-lights in her office, but otherwise succumbed to it all. It was only once she was alone at her desk that she rolled her eyes.

"Good morning," Nate trilled on the Friday before Valentine's Day. "Here's today's Daily Prophet and your latest batch of cookies."

Despite her cynicism, Hermione enjoyed Nate's excitement. She also loved the heart-shaped biscuits he baked. They were covered in red icing and sprinkles, and Hermione had been eating them by the plateful.

"You're the best," Hermione mumbled, her mouth full. "I actually had a dream about these last night. It's turning into a problem!"

"My mum and sister get like that when it's their time of the month. I've started keeping cookie batter in the freezer so I'm not baking from scratch every few weeks!"

"Now there's a thought," Hermione laughed. "I just order dessert with my take away."

"That works too!"

Once Nate left the office, Hermione glanced down at the newspaper. Astoria and Narcissa were on the front cover, smiling broadly as they left an expensive jewellery shop. Next to it was a collection of photos of Draco and Astoria. The pictures went from their first public sighting in Hosgmeade, to a private dinner a few weeks ago.

Rita Skeeter had written a gushing article, making lavish predictions about them -

Is a Valentine's proposal in the works for the Wizarding World's most glamourous couple?

Watch this space for more information as we count down to the most romantic weekend of the year...

Hermione pulled her face and threw the paper into the bin. As she picked up another biscuit, Nate's comment tugged at her. She pulled open her diary and flicked back through it.

"I've got to go," Hermione told Nate as she burst out of her office.

"Uh, when will you-"

Hermione rushed out of the department without responding, leaving Nate open-mouthed at his desk.

*****

A/N: Sorry this is only a short chapter! For some reason these ones have ended up all different lengths. I'll post another one to make up for it! Much love, Charli