Chapter 19

August faded into September, which rushed into October. The trees were an explosion of colour, stark against dreary, grey skies. Everyone who complained about the suffocating heat now wistfully reminisced about summer and cursed the incessant rain.

"Here you are, this is where Mr Malfoy works."

Hermione looked up at Ellie's voice. Astoria stood next to the young witch, looking around the office curiously. Ellie smoothed her hair, green for Halloween next week, when Astoria wasn't looking.

"Oh! Um, hello Miss Greengrass," Hermione smiled, hastily tidying her desk. "He's out at a meeting just now, but should be back in a few minutes. You're, er, welcome to wait here? If...if you like?"

"Thank you, and please, call me Astoria."

Astoria sat daintily in Draco's chair, feet crossed and posture perfect. Hermione surreptitiously sat up straighter in her own chair. Ellie smirked and returned to her desk.

"We're meeting for lunch," Astoria explained. "I finished a little earlier than usual so I thought I might drop by and see the department Draco talks so much about."

"Uh, well, this is it!" Hermione said, laughing awkwardly.

She gestured around the tiny office. Faded green and silver streamers still hung from the ceiling, tangled with red and gold ones from Hermione's birthday the month before. A mostly-deflated balloon bobbed in the corner behind a jumble of cheap, plastic Halloween decorations. Hermione had bought them to annoy Draco.

"It's lovely." A genuine smile lit up Astoria's face. "I understand you sent Narcissa some flowers when she was unwell? That was very sweet of you."

"Oh, yeah, well. It seemed like the decent thing to do, y'know?"

A long silence stretched between them.

"I heard your mother was friends with her at school?" Hermione asked, floundering for something to say.

"That's right. They fell out of touch after graduation, but they reconnected a few months ago."

"Ah, of course," Hermione said. "Your mother is a healer?"

Astoria inclined her head in confirmation, the harsh lights creating a halo around her golden hair. Hermione realised she was avoiding being drawn into a possible conversation about Narcissa's mental state. Her respect for Astoria rose.

Draco wandered back into the office, his face buried in a file he was reading. His forehead was scrunched up with concentration. Hermione cleared her throat and he looked up, startled.

"Astoria!" He exclaimed, hastily smoothing his hair and adjusting his tie. "I'm sorry, I hadn't realised you were here."

"It's no problem," she smiled. "Miss Granger was kind enough to keep me company."

"Right...Um, well, I'm ready whenever you are?"

Hermione grinned as they left. It was fun seeing Draco's haughty confidence shaken. She went back to her work, taking advantage of the quiet before she was due to go to lunch with Harry.

*****

Hermione stared blankly at the wall, chewing her thumbnail. She'd been like that since she came back from lunch an hour ago. Unsure of what to do, Draco had panicked and ignored her.

"Apparently there's a supervisory position opening up over in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement," Hermione said, breaking the long silence.

Draco looked over at her. She was still staring at the wall, but her hands had fallen into her lap to fidget with her bracelet. She bit her bottom lip instead.

"Are you thinking of applying?" He asked when she fell quiet again.

"I don't know. No. Maybe? I'm not sure. What do you think?"

"Me?" Draco stared, surprised at the question. "Why in Merlin's name do you care what I think?"

Hermione shuffled her chair around to face his desk and fixed her gaze onto his silver ink-pot. She folded her arms tightly across her chest, withdrawing slightly into her over-sized, woolen jumper. Draco waited, a blonde eyebrow raised.

"Well," she said at last. "Obviously Harry thinks I should go for it. But...as much as I appreciate his faith in me, objectively I know he's biased in my favour. You're not. I'd be interested in your opinion, because...because I can trust it to be impartial."

Hermione felt the blood rush to her face and was thankful her dark skin hid it from him.

"You don't think I'd be biased against you?"

Hermione raised her eyes to his face as she considered this. He looked genuinely curious, and a little confused. The anger and hatred from school had long since faded from his expression.

"No," she said slowly, drawing out the word. "I don't think you would, actually."

"Oh."

There was another long silence. Draco's colouring was too pale to mask the blush creeping across his cheeks. He stared down at his desk, doodling absently on the parchment in front of him.

"I think you should go for it," Draco said, finally.

"Thank you."

"It'd get you out of my hair," he smirked, but his grey eyes didn't meet her brown ones.

"The interviews aren't for another month yet. You can't get rid of me that easily," Hermione said, sticking her tongue out at him.

"So immature," Draco exclaimed. "You might need to work on that if you're going to be in charge. Ministers for Magic are above such childishness."

"I've a long way to go until then," Hermione laughed.

"True," Draco conceded. "But this is the first step. You'll get there."

Evidently as shocked as Hermione at the words that slipped from his lips, Draco abruptly left the office.