Chapter 5

The rest of the week passed by uneventfully. Draco's work ethic settled down somewhere between extreme diligence and complete idleness.

"How was lunch?" Hermione asked on Friday.

Draco grunted in reply. He looked drained and paler than usual.

"I don't know where you go every day, but you should have words with the chef. You always look like crap when you get back!" Hermione quipped.

"I go to meet my mother, if you must know," Draco snapped.

Hermione's smile fell. Draco's jaw clenched and a muscle twitched in his cheek.

"Sorry, I didn't mean-"

"She's taken it hard, me moving out," Draco continued. "So we meet for lunch to make up for it. Any other questions? Or is the interrogation over and I can get back to work?"

Hermione nodded, her dark cheeks flushing. Rumour had it that Mrs Malfoy wasn't well. Gossipy witches and wizards gleefully talked in whispers about the once-proud woman and her failing mental health. Hermione's eyes flicked to Dr Gallagher's business card pinned to her notice board. It seemed too presumptive to hand it to Draco, but perhaps she could sneak it into his coat pocket? Hermione mentally shook her head. She had no right to interfere. Besides, the rumours were likely exaggerations.

Draco didn't speak for the rest of the afternoon. Their office was silent except for quills scratching and the occasional cough. Mr Singh's radio could be heard through the wall. Hermione wondered how Draco would react if she brought one in too. She decided it would be better to have music and headphones.

As soon as the clock struck five, Draco stood up and left. His sudden departure made Hermione jump and splash ink on the report she was writing. Pulling a face, she took out a clean sheet of parchment.

"Don't stay here all night," Mr Singh chided her from the hallway.

"I won't, I'm just finishing up," Hermione smiled. "You got much planned this weekend?"

"We're taking the girls to the seaside," he said, a soft smile flitting across his face at the mention of his wife and daughters.

"Lovely! It's nice weather for it."

"I'll bring you, what do the muggles call it? A rock stick?"

"A stick of rock," Hermione laughed. "Have a wonderful time."

Mr Singh left and she heard him chatting with Ellie on his way out. Hermione stuck her head into the corridor.

"Hey, Ellie?" She called, startling the teenager. "You go home, I'll lock up here."

Ellie bounced to her feet. She'd already changed into a cute dress, and her hair fell in loose curls over her shoulders. It was freshly dyed purple.

"Love the outfit, where you headed?"

"Oh, y'know, out," Ellie flushed dark pink.

"Have a great time," Hermione smiled.

Ellie grinned, almost running out of the office. Hermione sighed and went back to work.